Do We Take The Puppy Camping?

MotherKing

We recently purchased a puppy for the kids. He is a Cavalier King Charles spaniel. He is now 7 months old. Later this month we are heading off on a 4 week trip - beach camping at Sth Lefroy, Ningaloo. This is private property (beachfront - no facilities), dogs allowed. It is very remote and is a great opportunity for us to let Harry have a great time with us in the outdoors however the problem is that my dog is still a crazy, mental puppy and now as we near the departure I am having second doubts about my ability to cope with him running off and getting into mischeif for 4 long weeks.

Let me explain that we do this sort of camping quite often and I have young kids - 4 and 7. Last trip the youngest was 2 at this same spot so I know what I'm in for. I have prepared for this for a long time, and I think I've got just about everything covered (dog tent, tie up pole, water-less shampoo, desexing, microchipping etc).

Does anyone have any advice, comments, previous experience camping with a Cavalier puppy that is not a lap dog by any stretch of the imagination... think chews everything in sight, dashes off to chase birds, rabbits, cats and dogs - very bold, shy of nothing at all but a total sook at night (sleeps at the foot of our bed - up on it, not on the floor mind you). Am I the mental one? Kids will be heartbroken if we don't take him but perhaps that is better than the dog getting hurt or me losing the plot on our holiday. Tell me your thoughts and experiences.

We took our Puli pup (also definately NOT a lap dog) camping for 5 days at Easter this year at nearly four months I think she was. Not exactly the length of time you are going for but I had enough 'stuff' for four weeks I reckon ;)

We have a 10yr old and a 6 year old (at that time they were 9 and 5)

We also took two pens for outside and the dog crate for her to sleep in our tent with us. Note in the picture there are actually 3 tents which are ours (you probably can't see the Green Coleman (huge) peaking over the top of the smaller yellow (storage tent with bokes, chairs, esky ... general junk), also the gazebo.

We bought an 11m tracking lead (Black Dog - they have a website so you can Google it) as Noodle's recall was not the best ... great for those strolls along the beach and they are much freer to romp.

Microfibre towels and chamois to dry off puppy ... much quicker to dry, absorbant and light to carry.

post-16051-1212693821_thumb.jpg

post-16051-1212693881_thumb.jpg

We take Maverick camping with us all the time and my kids are 4 and 5.

He sleeps in his crate and has a 10m lead we tie him up with when we want him to have a bit more freedom but it is impractical to have him on a short lead. Everywhere we go dogs need to be on leads unless it is an off lead beach but Mavs recall is only 5%.

Even if you weren't camping wouldnt your Harry be with you for 4 weeks anyway?

Defiently take a crate, it is great time out for the dog and for you.

We find that Mav is so active on holidays that he wears himself out fast and sleep well at night.

Of course you take puppy with you

Crate, favourite toys, food and water and tie out lead. We used a very fine stainless steel cable, won't tangle and is puppy proof. Pup has the tie out lead attached to a flat collar and the main tent door support in the photo.

post-4270-1212706539_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ashka

Ohhh thanks for all the votes of confidence. I am feeling more positive about it now just seeing how you all cope. I know I would feel too much guilt not taking him but was beginning to wonder if I was crazy doing this with such a young pup. I'll be sure to pop back and tell you how it all went, show pics etc. I am in truth quite excited by the idea! But - I've never used a crate. Do they fold flat to pack in the vehicle? The big one in the pic looks enormous but certainly a great idea. Do I get these from the pet store?

Hi MotherKing :love:

We recently bought a caravan, and we are about to start using it more soon :) (We have been waiting to be able afford some new tyres for our 4 wheel drive)

We have gone on a couple maiden trips with it, but not with Joey or Renae yet ( as my parents were living with us at the time, so looked after them)

We have just recently bought a enclosure pen for them when we go away.. so we are almost ready to experiment with the next trip , but with them this time ! :)

Mine are both older, not a puppy like yours, and we only going away over the weekends at the most..

I think you will all be fine !!

Have fun ! ;)

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Ohhh thanks for all the votes of confidence. I am feeling more positive about it now just seeing how you all cope. I know I would feel too much guilt not taking him but was beginning to wonder if I was crazy doing this with such a young pup. I'll be sure to pop back and tell you how it all went, show pics etc. I am in truth quite excited by the idea! But - I've never used a crate. Do they fold flat to pack in the vehicle? The big one in the pic looks enormous but certainly a great idea. Do I get these from the pet store?

Hi! Yes the crate is a must ... ours in in the tent with us at night and at home Noodle sleeps in the crate in teh kitchen .. basically she will sleep where ever the crate goes which is an enormous advantage.

Yes, they flat pack and you can get them from the pet shop although I bought mine (with a canvas cover which is waterprrof too) from a seller on Ebay .. saved heaps compared to the petstores and they don't sell the canvas covers most of the time. There is a thread going at the moment about crates so have a look at that as lots of members have put on links to where they got theirs (definately worth checking it out). I am in Mlbourne and bought mine from 'PuppyPower' seller on Ebay .. great price and I saved $25 going to collect it myself.

Might be a good idea to get puppy used to the crate before you go away too.

Our penned area, may look a bit cruel but it was good itme out for our pup when she was exhausted from running around on the beach and a good way to keep her contained without tethering and also to give the kids and her time out. Noodle spent a LOT of time with us when we were away but she also needed time for a nap and to eat etc.

Thanks JulesLovesCavs and NoodleNut - you've steered me in the direction of the cage. I had avoided these but noted them in some old puppy training books. Didn't think I needed that with this little pup but perhaps I was too naive. I have purchased a collapsible "tent" that works to confine but there is not space to toilet or move about. I had thought that woudl be sufficient coupled with a tether system of some sort, but your idea of a large crate could be ideal. He has shown a love for the doggy tent which is a positive start. They do like sleeping inside enclosed areas that's for sure! Thanks once again, you'll hear from me soon I'm sure.

I couldn't leave my dog for 4 weeks. I'd take him with us. Take a crate etc for when you think he needs down time. He will love it :hug:

Ok - have been reading all the great advice on this issue. I've noticed some of the crates people put their small dogs in are huge. I had already purchased a carrier/dog tent but is that too small? The function is the same but is it worth looking for a larger crate - is the reason so they can run around in it, or toilet in it perhaps? I don't think I've got it clear in my head the main reasons for the crate/vs doggy tent I guess. I may be missing something sorry I'm a bit of a dumb blonde :-)

I couldn't leave my dog for 4 weeks. I'd take him with us. Take a crate etc for when you think he needs down time. He will love it :hug:

Ok - have been reading all the great advice on this issue. I've noticed some of the crates people put their small dogs in are huge. I had already purchased a carrier/dog tent but is that too small? The function is the same but is it worth looking for a larger crate - is the reason so they can run around in it, or toilet in it perhaps? I don't think I've got it clear in my head the main reasons for the crate/vs doggy tent I guess. I may be missing something sorry I'm a bit of a dumb blonde :-)

In my photo the crate does look big but Noodle was only about 8 - 13 weeks when the photo was taken. I will try and get a photo of Noodl etonight in her crate and post it for you tomorrow. Noodle is now 6 months and getting close to her maximum size from what the breeder suggests. I bought the crate the size it is so that it would fit Noodle full grown. Sh ecan easily stand up and move around and lie down completely in comfort .. no she does not play in there. When she wants to go to the toilet she will ususally shake her head/scratch her neck and the tags jangle so I put her out for a wee/poo and then back into the crate.

The photo also showed the crate door opening into the pen where there were wee pads and water. Once Noodle was going regularly on the pads and then outside and listening to 'Go wee' I removed the pen and she only slept in the crate. The pen was great when she was little and I couldn't supervise her.

Not sure how the tent idea would work with toileting. Pup might think it is large enough to 'get away' from teh poo/wee and toilet in the tent on one side.

Ok, Here we go .. just took some photos of Noodle & her crate before I took her out for a pee/poo and put her to bed. (Minus the Elizabethen collar she is wearing as she was speyed last Friday so not trusted to not lick her stitches overnight.

post-16051-1212764216_thumb.jpg

post-16051-1212764238_thumb.jpg

post-16051-1212764266_thumb.jpg

Here are the last two .. really hard to get a good idea of how she fits in it .. some of the photos make her look tiny in teh crate and others make her look HUGE! ... believe me .. it is a great size for her even if she grows another two inches (she is 14" now and female Puli standard is 14" to16" although the breeder thinks Noodle is on the smaller size)

post-16051-1212764438_thumb.jpg

post-16051-1212764464_thumb.jpg

Thanks NoodleNut - very useful. Pics speak a thousand words. And hey - Harry was only desexed just last fortnight so I know what that's like! A bit more of an op for a female tho I believe. And, may I say how adorably gorgeous and fluffy and cuddly your Noodle is. I have never really seen a dog like that before, she is special. ... and as I'm in Perth, I'm always the last one up (its only 11pm here). Have a great w/end.

Motherking, you can also buy a cheap, sturdy puppy pen from Bunnings - sold as a compost cage in the gardening area. Costs only $20. would be suitable for a cavy. I have two which I join together for a puppy pen when I have puppies outside. Have also used it inside when I went overnight with my chi pup. You could use that for toiletting and playing, and the crate you already have for sleeping.

Motherking, you can also buy a cheap, sturdy puppy pen from Bunnings - sold as a compost cage in the gardening area. Costs only $20. would be suitable for a cavy. I have two which I join together for a puppy pen when I have puppies outside. Have also used it inside when I went overnight with my chi pup. You could use that for toiletting and playing, and the crate you already have for sleeping.

Yeah that's what some dolers were recommending for us to get, but there was none in stock at any of the stores here at the time !!! :D

Everyone must of been thinking the same thing at the same time LOL

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

I reckon camping with dogs sounds like lots of fun!! I would love to do it, but don't really have anyone to go with...friends either not into camping or married with kids etc! It's all very selfish of them really... :D

LOL !

You could come with us Helen (we are married, but don't have any kids) , if you get yourself a tent !! You could pitch it up next to our caravan :laugh: We even have a deluxe double ensuite shower and toilet tent :)

I'm not sure if anyone has put up a link yet to these type soft crates (sorry if any one has), but we were considering these also at one stage (altho we intend for our two to sleep in the caravan with us, so there's probably no need for them)

http://www.forpamperedpets.co.uk/acatalog/...dog_crates.html

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs