Airport Pickup

spanky

Hello All

I have a 1yr old girl (I know not a puppy, but didn't know where else to post) arriving in Brisbane on Friday from Melbourne. Having never received a dog by airmail before, I'm wondering what I should do.

Should I find a park on the way home and let her out for a toilet break? She is fully vac'd so I don't need to worry about her picking something up. Or should I just drive home without stopping?

We need to intro her to our current boy (who is 6), which I'm thinking of doing by letting them meet through the front fence before taking them for a walk together. Thought this way they can both work off some energy and check each other out before returning home. Should I then put her in a crate for awhile and then swap them over, so she can check out her new home without him annoying her?

With any luck my OH will be able to skip out of work early and be here to help me with this, but there is a chance I'll be on my own.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

I would try to find someplace to walk her at the airport before you put her in the car and then drive home.

Also it would be better to introduce your other dog away from your home, not through the front fence as even dogs that are friendly can be aggresive when faced with a dog at their fence line.

My own personal experience - picked Jonno (who was 3) up from the airport and I timed it so I got there just before his crate was brought over (it goes to a different building here). Got him out, took him to the front of the freight area to a grassy spot and let him wee (have plastic bags just in case he needs to do more). I brought a bowl and a bottle of water with me so he could have a drink. Ran up and down the small grassy patch a few times to stretch his legs and had a few cuddles :)

We then came home. Knowing my girl at home so well, I didn't bother going to a park or anything. I kept Jonno on lead and let them look at each other through the glass doors first, then opened one and let Moo come in. Waited till they had a bit of a sniff and let them both off. Been best friends ever since. BUT, my girl is extremely placid and docile and has never reacted in a bad way to a strange dog.

You will need at a minimum,

crate to take him home in (if the one he is flying in is not owned by you)

collar and lead for a walk

plastic bags for poo pickup

bowl and bottle of water for a drink

Have fun with your new pup ;)

I would try to find someplace to walk her at the airport before you put her in the car and then drive home.

Also it would be better to introduce your other dog away from your home, not through the front fence as even dogs that are friendly can be aggresive when faced with a dog at their fence line.

I agree with the airport walk, I'm just not sure where I have to pick her up from atm... so not sure if there will be any grass or just concrete and road.

If my OH is home we'll meet up somewhere other than home, but if it's just me I'm not sure how else to manage an intro as I don't want Griffin with me when I go to the airport.

My own personal experience - picked Jonno (who was 3) up from the airport and I timed it so I got there just before his crate was brought over (it goes to a different building here). Got him out, took him to the front of the freight area to a grassy spot and let him wee (have plastic bags just in case he needs to do more). I brought a bowl and a bottle of water with me so he could have a drink. Ran up and down the small grassy patch a few times to stretch his legs and had a few cuddles :)

We then came home. Knowing my girl at home so well, I didn't bother going to a park or anything. I kept Jonno on lead and let them look at each other through the glass doors first, then opened one and let Moo come in. Waited till they had a bit of a sniff and let them both off. Been best friends ever since. BUT, my girl is extremely placid and docile and has never reacted in a bad way to a strange dog.

You will need at a minimum,

crate to take him home in (if the one he is flying in is not owned by you)

collar and lead for a walk

plastic bags for poo pickup

bowl and bottle of water for a drink

Have fun with your new pup ;)

This is why I need you guys to provide info... little bit too excited and hadn't thought of the bowl and water thing... thanks!

Her crate is staying with us, so no worries there.

The breeder is sending her up with a harness and I'd actually thought of taking a lead... :laugh: very proud of myself for thinking of that one

Seems I don't go anywhere without a bag in my pocket... usually I forget to take them out when they don't get used on a walk.

Griffin doesn't have a problem with the majority of dogs, but he has had problems with males (larger than himself) in the past. So while I've never seen him aggressive towards a female (either smaller or larger) I do want to have complete control of the intro.

I have a week off work to make sure they settle in together. We timed it so she arrived during uni hols, which means I'll be home more days than at work giving me a great opportunity to bond with her and reassure him that he hasn't been forgotten.

There is a big grass area at Brisbane AAE that you can take them for a walk on :noidea: Bring bags as they don't provide them (they do in Perth!)... and be careful where you walk for this reason :laugh:

Don't introduce through a fence. I have dogs who are more than happy to welcome a new dog into their back yard, but one of them would get "protective" through a fence (she does the same if in a crate or tied up - but is fine if on lead with me or off lead)!

Good luck and we expect photos :laugh:

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice.

They were unable to find her when we first arrived at the airport, but before I really started to panic they found her.

We now just have to settle her in with the grump Frenchie already in residence.

This is the only pic I've managed to snap so far....

DSCN0794-1.jpg

Any tips on to make easing her into the 'family' would be greatly appreciated.

Awww what a beautiful little girl you have there sparky :cry:

We found when welcoming new members into our family which the latest was only 5 weeks ago, its really important to make sure no one is feeling left out lots of extra love for her and your boy also.

Saying that though we have found to build that one on one relationship and confidence up we sometimes take them all out for some individual one on one time (we are lucky always someone to say at home with those left at home)

More than anything just watch them together and watch out for problems that may be about to occur and difuse the situation before it turns into something that may effect their relationship.

Plenty of praise, love and cuddles and you'll have a happy family in no time Good Luck :kissbetter: