Nikon Camera Owners

rocco

I am looking at a new lens for my Nikon D40x. Could someone give me advice on the best lens for dog photography (as a hobby). I have narrowed it down to these and was wondering if anyone has these lenses to advise on the good and the bad you find with them with speed, light etc. Range from cheap to expensive, so if someone thinks realistically a cheaper lens can do the job then all the better. Even if someone could post pic's they have taken with any of the lenses in low light situations.

AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6

AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IF-ED

AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8

AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8

Thanks in advance, and I promise this isn't to torture you all even more with Roc'nRalph pictures. :):(

I am looking at a new lens for my Nikon D40x. Could someone give me advice on the best lens for dog photography (as a hobby). I have narrowed it down to these and was wondering if anyone has these lenses to advise on the good and the bad you find with them with speed, light etc. Range from cheap to expensive, so if someone thinks realistically a cheaper lens can do the job then all the better. Even if someone could post pic's they have taken with any of the lenses in low light situations.

Thanks in advance, and I promise this isn't to torture you all even more with Roc'nRalph pictures. :):(

I also use a Nikon D40x, Sigma is a good brand that is bit cheaper than the Nikkor and are compatible with the nikon cameras.

Belinda

I also use a Nikon D40x, Sigma is a good brand that is bit cheaper than the Nikkor and are compatible with the nikon cameras.

Belinda

Thanks Belinda.

Do you use the Sigmas yourself? I heard some bad things about the brand and to stick to Nikkor.

Thanks Belinda.

Do you use the Sigmas yourself? I heard some bad things about the brand and to stick to Nikkor.

Just buying in: I didn't reply cos I have only one of the lenses you list, the cheaper 70-330mm. Would not/not recommend it as way soft at each end and a bit slow focussing. It's a sort of you get what you pay for thing: not always, but usually. I would like the two $2000-plus lenses you list, out of my range just now.

I love the D40 but sure, but it's not convenient being restricted to AF-S lenses (unless we wish to manual focus only: sometimes is fine, but not always). So just as often as I pick it up, I pick up one of the other Nikon bodies so I have more lens options.

The lenses I use on the D40 are not expensive ones, but I've been happy with some of the results, though a bit cheesed off with slow focussing and a bit of softness at each end. Two are older "kit lenses" from older Nikon DSLRs and would be under $300 each, they are:

18-70mm 3.5-4.5 and

18-55mm 4.5

One I bought with it is not strictly speaking a kit lens, but it is only a cheapie, and I like it. The AF-S 55-200mm 4.5-5.6 Yes it does focus a bit slow sometimes (hunts) and is of course soft at the ends. But working within that, takes quite sharp action shots and good portraits. f4.5 is only that: so in very low light you need to up the ISO a bit, and maybe process through Noise Ninja.

For pin-sharp shots a prime or one focal length lens gives much better results: the Nikon 85mm 1.8 is brill for low light portraits and action shots.

Anyway back to Sigma: Sigma are excellent lenses and good value for money. As with Nikon, they do not all have motor in-lens (AF-S) so you should check with the store that they are compatible with the D40, try out in-store on the same camera, good stores will be happy for you to do that. I think only the Sigma HSM lenses have motor drive, and they likely cost even more than middle-price Nikons.

My 150mm Macro is Sigma, couldn't be happier with it. I use that one on the D40 as you don't auto focus with macro in any case so manual focus is 'normal'.

It's worth a look a DP Review forums, I think they keep a list of D40 lenses, and update it with new releases.

I tried the 70-300 in the weekend and wasn't sold on it, now confirmed it's a no go. Yes the D40 are a nuisance with the AF-s lenses. I think I have now narrowed it down to the two lenses. Thanks for the help PossumCorner.

Belinda

Thanks Belinda.

No I havent the Sigma but the reason I suggested it is because Iam too looking at buying a new lens (macro) that will also do good portraits and a friend who is a pro photographer told me to check them out as they are a good lens for the price.

Happy hunting it can be very mind boggling finding the suitable lens for the right price.

Keep up the great Roc and Ralf shots :eek:

Belinda

I have a d60 which is pretty much the same as the 40x. im just starting out

i just grabbed a AF-G 70-300mm. because its not AF-S its manual focus. HOWEVER im amazed at the pics that are coming out of this "cheap" lense.

seems to be quite good for a ~$130 lense.

seems to be sweet around the 100-150mm mark.

Thanks in advance, and I promise this isn't to torture you all even more with Roc'nRalph pictures. :rofl::laugh:

I'm a Canon person - but I shot most stuff with a 70-200 2.8.

I strongly suspect that the Nikon 70-200 2.8 would be the lens of choice.

Thanks Luke W, I have seen some of your beautiful shots. I have a friend about to purchase the Canon 70-200 2.8, so will have a trial on hers. I am stuck between the 24-70 and 70-200 at this stage. Had play with the 24-70 and it was a nice lens.

Thanks Luke W, I have seen some of your beautiful shots. I have a friend about to purchase the Canon 70-200 2.8, so will have a trial on hers. I am stuck between the 24-70 and 70-200 at this stage. Had play with the 24-70 and it was a nice lens.

Yeah - try a 70-200.

I have both a 70-200 and a 24-70 and both are really nice (Canon) lenses. I have no doubt the Nikon equivalents are really nice too.

I find the longer focal length of the 70-200 is better for dog shots - simply because you don't need to be so close. Nearly all my outdoor shots are shot on the 70-200, while most of the indoor 'studio' shots are shot on the 24-70.

If you are mainly going to be shooting outdoors with plenty of room - the 70-200, indoors or without a lot of room - the 24-70...

But hey, both are really nice...It's going to be a matter of which one you get first :love:

• 2 weeks later...
I am looking at a new lens for my Nikon D40x. ...

What did you end up with - new lens or new camera or neither?

I'd mentioned the Sigma 150mm Macro. This is a kooka with this lens. Not 'enlarged' just the ends cropped off to square the shot. Just to show that Sigma lenses can be as sharp as, and manual focus with the D40 is not an issue.

DSC_0897A.jpg

I am looking at a new lens for my Nikon D40x. ...

What did you end up with - new lens or new camera or neither?

I'd mentioned the Sigma 150mm Macro. This is a kooka with this lens. Not 'enlarged' just the ends cropped off to square the shot. Just to show that Sigma lenses can be as sharp as, and manual focus with the D40 is not an issue.

WOW!! That is absolutely amazing that picture. Really beautiful. I love those little guys too.

I have had a few mix views on the Sigma. I need to go in and try one. I have decided on the Nikkor 24-70 f2.8. A friend bought the (Canon version) 70-200 2.8 and it was so huge and heavy. I just dont think something that big will suit me at this stage. Esp as I would have to move too far off my subject and I dont like being too far away from Roc off-lead. I miss out on the nice blur, but I just need something a tad more pratical as I go out by myself alot and a big lens, tripod and huge dog wont work. ;) Plus I want to use it indoors. I think I will look into the Sigma when I am ready to move on to the 70-200 as cheaper option to have both lenses now. Thanks. :rolleyes:

some of the 3rd party lens are very good.

tamron & tokina are probaby the pick.

the smaller the f stop the better the lens. f1 is better than f3.5 for example...less glass so the lens is faster.....however , the better the lens the bigger the price.

prime lens' give better results than zoom lens but are not as versatile.

the lens i use the most...pretty much exclusivly unless i want to take specific photos, is the nikkor 28-200 3.5-5.6D

it is an excellent lens & perfect for you want.

Thanks Dougie.

Do you mean the Nikkor 18-200 f3.5? I cant find the Nikkor 28-200 unless it has gone out of production?

I have frustration with low light situations hence why I wanted a f2.8. How do you find your lens in low light? Could I see some pictures taken on the 28-200 f3.5?

Edited by Rocco1

I finally decided on a lens. I went with the Nikkor 24-70. These are some shots I just took. I love the fact it can capture the reflection in their eyes. :rofl: I will just have to save up for the 70-200 aswell. :o

DSC_0020-2.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg