Does Anyone Know How Long Ensal Takes To Work?

Dolly had a really simple op under GA to remove a couple of papillomas on her foot yesterday. She's had a funny reaction to the anaesthetic, and has not very good sphincter control, and has also developed diarrohea overnight. She also managed to get her heavy duty dressing off in record time, so the vet has sedated her, and applied a visor-style elizabethan collar. The sedation this morning, though really necessary due to her agitation at both the collar and the new dressing, has not really helped the lack of sphincter control, and she is lying at my feet, drooling diarrhoea out of her bottom. :) I have her on an old doona to protect the carpet and am cleaning it up every 10-15 mins or so, but it's very unpleasant for both of us.

Does anyone know how long Ensal, an anti-diarrhoea medicine, takes to work? Or any ideas on something I can feed her to slow/solidify the poo?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

efs

Edited by Eileen

No advice mate, just letting you know I feel for you both :) Hope she picks up soon.

Bet she's doing zoomies by dinnertime :mad

Lol, she was doing zoomies by dinnertime last night an hour after we got her home....that's how we discovered the lack of sphincter control. There were little brown drops all over the house and up and down the stairs. Sometime overnight it turned into diarrhea. At least now she's sedated she doesn't want to run everywhere leaving a trail of ewwwww.

Just an update, Dolly still doesn't have control, though her poo is a lot less runny. Will she get it back? Is it odd to still not have sphincter muscle control 36 hours after a general anaesthetic?

I rang him this afternoon as her tummy was also REALLY swollen. He said it was rare that she would still be having such an upset, but to come in tomorrow morning if it is still not right. Her tum is no longer swollen, though, which is great.

I am just starting to get worried, as I would have thought it would have stopped now. We are still sedating her, though, do you think that could be prolonging it? We kind of have to, though, or she gets too agitated about her bandages and starts bashing around the house --- which means she flicks poo everywhere. At least when she is sedated she lies quietly on blankets.

We went back to the vets this morning when they opened and have changed her antibiotics and have her on electrolyte fluid. It's not poor muscle control, apparently, but a stomach upset, caused by a massive reaction to the anaesthetic. She didn't have a temperature, which is great. Apparently it is just like colitis, where her colon is just expelling the waste as soon as it is made, rather than sending a message to her brain that she needs to poo. She's just eating boiled chicken and rice.

Yes, me too. We took her back the very next morning after the operation, but she was even worse this morning. Gosh yes, I hope she doesn't wind up with IBS, that would be awful - I had no idea dogs could get it.