Auto Amune System

Hi,I am the owner of a 7 yr old Rhodesian ridgeback dog who was perfectly well on Wednesday night but on the following morning was standing head down and tail tucked just standing looking unwell and seemed very light sensetive with his eyes. After a trip to the vet and having blood tests and xrays and generally checked over was kept for observation.Next morning he was very stressed would not stand still and and kept walking into things and kept putting his head into a corner and was very unsteady on his feet. At this stage the vet decided without the blood results that it was a neurological problem.He continually walked around the yard and had to be sedated to get him to lie down .He was given an injection of Colvasone and by this stage without the advantage of scans and up to date tests the vet was doubtful if he would survive the night.But the next morning the improvement was unbelievable and after a further injection the following night and being put on Macrolone tablets a week later he is back to normal. The vet seems to think it must have been an alergic reaction which targetted the auto amune system in the brain.Has anyone had a similar experience as it just happened overnight and has us baffled.

The light sensitivity and restlessness sounds like the markers for an auto immune response to an allergin. The immune system could have been provoked, and if it was a stong enough reaction, may have started attacking itself, i.e. an autoimmune response. The colvasone, as an anti-inflamitory, would have helped to stop the body attacking itself, and allowed for the damaged areas to heal. The response doesn't have to have been caused by something unusual, either. Sometimes immune attack can be triggered by something you have previously been exposed to, which the system has become hypersensitive to.

Thankfully I haven't had this experience, but I've just finished studying a unit on toxicology, which dealt a lot with this sort of thing.

I hope your boy feels better, and that you do to! It must have been such a scare.

• 2 weeks later...
The light sensitivity and restlessness sounds like the markers for an auto immune response to an allergin. The immune system could have been provoked, and if it was a stong enough reaction, may have started attacking itself, i.e. an autoimmune response. The colvasone, as an anti-inflamitory, would have helped to stop the body attacking itself, and allowed for the damaged areas to heal. The response doesn't have to have been caused by something unusual, either. Sometimes immune attack can be triggered by something you have previously been exposed to, which the system has become hypersensitive to.

Thankfully I haven't had this experience, but I've just finished studying a unit on toxicology, which dealt a lot with this sort of thing.

I hope your boy feels better, and that you do to! It must have been such a scare.

Sorry for the delay in reply but have had computer problems. Thanks for the reply,this is very similar to what my vet thought. Everything was going along ok and he semed to be allmost back to normal but as I have had to decrease the Macrolone tablets gradually this last few days he does not seem as well. He seems to be loosing weight despite his great appetite.(he is allways looking for food everytime I go outside he hopes its feed time).He is now having 2 tablets every second day the week before it was 1 morning and night each day.I will be taking him in to the vet tomorrow to see what is happening, but it seems like it will be ongoing.

Have seen something very similiar. It will take months to gradually wean him off the macrolene, so that he doesn't relapse or develop symptoms until his system is able to 'kick' in and handle the problem, or heal itself, so to speak.

I would ask your vet about putting him on an immune building supplement that won't affect his medication, like Bovine Colostrum, such as Transfer Factor. It might support his immune system during this time of stress.

Good Luck.

Have seen something very similiar. It will take months to gradually wean him off the macrolene, so that he doesn't relapse or develop symptoms until his system is able to 'kick' in and handle the problem, or heal itself, so to speak.

I would ask your vet about putting him on an immune building supplement that won't affect his medication, like Bovine Colostrum, such as Transfer Factor. It might support his immune system during this time of stress.

Good Luck.

[/quo

Thank you for that 'AngelSoul' ,that made me feel a lot better. He has been very slow to pick back up this time since putting the macrolene dose back up.He is still very restless cannot stay in one place just walks around the yard all the time,sight seems to be affected he gets into corners and cant seem to get out of them. The Vets are now leaning towards a brain tumor as all the test are coming back ok for everything else they tested.

Hi, I saw this thread and perhaps you could advise me. My dog was dx with an auto immune disease (IMPA) early April and put on high prednisone and now they are weaning it down. They added cyclosporine to help but it didn't do any good and the other drug they use sometimes (Imuran) they are hesitant to use unless she relapses because her liver values are slipping :( . I wanted to start adding supplements that will kick in and take over BUT I understand its dangerous to add anything that stimulates the immune system with an immune compromised dog. Would the Transfer Factor be safe for her and also a product called Moducare looks good. I have her on Milk Thistle and Denosyl plus I make her food so concentrating on liver friendly diet. Thanks for any help anneh

name='AngelSoul' date='9th Jul 2008 - 09:16 AM' post='2821580']

Good Luck.