Puppy Vacs - Straight Parvo Booster?

I just rang the 2 vets in my local area to ask a few questions to help me decide which vet I will use (still a couple of weeks away from getting my pup).

One was was very helpful and when asked about what vacs they use C3, C5, 3yearly, etc... I explained that I have some concerns about yearly vacs etc. They said they would use whatever I ultimately decided on. The other was strictly yearly C5, "why bother with C3 when its only $15 cheaper!!" :D it's not about the $$.... grrr

Anyway the 1st vet (which I like better at this stage) said they also recommend giving a straight PARVO vac at 16 wks of age, as this area apparently is quite bad for Parvo (I live in a farming area so majority of dogs around here aren't vaccinated ever). Has anyone used the straight PARVO vac before? Would like some opinions on this.

There are already lots of threads on the debate about how often to vaccinate, so lets not get into discussions about that, just want advice on the straight PARVO vac... Cheers!

Edited by Bailey9

No pup should be vaccinated at 6 weeks, never before 8 weeks, so for this reason alone, you will likely have to vaccinate 12 & 16 weeks, as the 6 week one will do ZERO good............

If a pup is done properly 8-10 weeks you wouldnt need a 16week parvo shot. :D

Guest Tess32

PARVAC? it's a killed vaccine. I gave it to my pup at 9.5 weeks but I'd say the maternal antibodies neutralised it because a few weeks later he had very low immunity on his titer test.

No pup should be vaccinated at 6 weeks, never before 8 weeks, so for this reason alone, you will likely have to vaccinate 12 & 16 weeks, as the 6 week one will do ZERO good............

If a pup is done properly 8-10 weeks you wouldnt need a 16week parvo shot. :D

sorry, not actually sure if it is at 6 weeks, just will have had 1st vac when we collect her. Vet said that the parvo at 16 weeks would be on top of the usual course of vacs

Edited by Bailey9

Guest Tess32

If a pup is done properly 8-10 weeks you wouldnt need a 16week parvo shot. :cool:

sorry, not actually sure if it is at 6 weeks, just will have had 1st vac when we collect her. Vet said that the parvo at 16 weeks would be on top of the usual course of vacs

If that's the case then no, there is no need. A parvac shot a few weeks after her 12 week shot will not increase her immunity. If you're extra worried you can get a titer test two weeks after her final puppy shot to see if she has seroconverted.

If that's the case then no, there is no need. A parvac shot a few weeks after her 12 week shot will not increase her immunity. If you're extra worried you can get a titer test two weeks after her final puppy shot to see if she has seroconverted.

Just more concerned at if the extra PARVO vac will possibly do more harm than good. I realise that if an immunity has already been built that the extra wont make her more immune, just more to make extra sure.

Unfortunately I only have access to 2 veterinary practices to choose from.

Just more concerned at if the extra PARVO vac will possibly do more harm than good.

It won't do any harm whatsoever. If you are giving 8 (well, your breeder sould be the one giving this vaccine and then you shouldn't be taking puppy home until 10wks of age if that's the case) & 12 wks vaccs... then giving the Parvac vaccine at between 16-18wks would be a very good idea in an area kown for a high Parvo rate.

I wouldn't give any vaccine higher than a C3 because I believe that it is enough for an immature immune system to deal with. If you feel the need, a C5 could be given at 12mths of age as the booster.

Just more concerned at if the extra PARVO vac will possibly do more harm than good.

It won't do any harm whatsoever. If you are giving 8 (well, your breeder sould be the one giving this vaccine and then you shouldn't be taking puppy home until 10wks of age if that's the case) & 12 wks vaccs... then giving the Parvac vaccine at between 16-18wks would be a very good idea in an area kown for a high Parvo rate.

I wouldn't give any vaccine higher than a C3 because I believe that it is enough for an immature immune system to deal with. If you feel the need, a C5 could be given at 12mths of age as the booster.

Thanks, that is along the lines of what I was considering doing. I just like to put the question out there to fellow DOLers to hear other peoples suggestions. I didn't think the one extra Parvo vac would do much harm, but just wanted to see if others agree.