Huge Lump On Side Of Neck On Whippet

Just noticed that Coby (whippet) has a huge lump on the side of his neck under where his collar sits

He was treated with Advantage yesterday - could that have caused a reaction like this? He has never had a reaction to it before and is done every month.

Cant get him to the vet until tomorrow.... the lump is squishy not solid - but about the size of a golf ball

I have heard of reactions like this from spot on products. Bad batches.

I would wait a few days to see if it goes down. If it doesn't reduce in size over the next few days then get the vet to take a look at it.

He hasn't just had a vaccination has he?

I would wait a few days to see if it goes down. If it doesn't reduce in size over the next few days then get the vet to take a look at it.

I don't use skin based products on our dogs as I was told that the Cresty and Iggy could have a bad reaction.

Storm (whippet) had this type of reaction to his last vaccination (C5) and I'm not sure if I'll get him done again next year.

Could he have been bitten by something? (sorry, a bit paranoid today :D)

Edited by Stormy

no... no recent vaccinations

he seems happy enough and is eating well .... but I am just worried about the size of it and how quickly it has come up. Its also not really that close to the site I put the flea treatment on.

Stormy - I guess he could have been bitten by something - but other than a mice invasion at the moment there doesn't seem to be too many nasties around

Goodluck to any mouse that tried to get within spitting distance of a whippet :D

Could it be a grass seed (or something like it) caught under his collar that has caused an irritation? Is he acting normally?

Sorry, just throwing out ideas....... :hug:

sounds exactly what Onsy had. I was absolutely panicking about what it was and took him to the vet and it was a hot spot :cool: his first one ever and looked nothing like the ones Tilly ever has.

But he is a large golden retreiver and in the middle of a week of rain and in summer

Wierd, I hope you find out what is wrong. Unless being in a warm room could have caused a hot spot?

With the size and squishness it almost sounds like a hematoma - a bleed under the skin, perhaps from a neck blood vessel. If it is then it will go down on it's own.

If it is a hematoma, then your dogs might have had a little scrap. Check them all over.

thanks guys .... he seems fine but lump is still there.

will take him to the vet tomorrow morning - and hopefully will have good news to report - its always a scare when something abit abnormal appears on one of the critters !

Would love an update on what your whippets lump turned out to be.