Advantage & Recent Onset Seizures

I have always had my dogs on Frontline - more because I've never had a problem with it than because I understand the science of it. We had a really bad flea problem (from some rescue kittens) & Frontline just wasn't doing the job so I swapped all animals over about 4 months ago to Advantage,which I have found much more effective. In the last couple of months my Schipperke has had a few 'petit mal' type episodes which my vet thinks are epilepsy (done full neuro assessment/bloods etc & can find nothing organically wrong). I can't remember the exact dates of the times I gave him Advantage so can't make a direct connection (& tend to think that if it had happened on the actual day I applied it I would probably have remembered).

Just went to give them their monthly flea treatment & pulled myself up sharp - could the change of medication have anything to do at all with the seizures - or is it most likely to be absolutely coincidental ? I have a memory of reading somewhere that certain breeds of dogs showed hypersensitivity to certain flea medication but can't remember the details.

Just wondered whether anyone on here knows anything about Advantage or has had any negative experiences with it ?

It might be... and it might not be. I don't think there is anyway of really determining this for certain. I haven't heard anything particular about this product but that isn't to say there isn't some warning some where.

I give my epileptic Sentinel and have never noticed any change in his seizure activity. He has also had Advantage and Advantix with no ill effects.

Scottie - you poor things - to not be able to find a cause is frustratingly difficult.

I use advantage, have always done so for the past 2 years. About a year ago, they changed the wording of the contraindications on the packet. (Not sure if the chemical makeup changed, or just the wording changed.) The wording relates to sensitivity, or a buildup and progressive sensitivity, or something - haven't got the original packet anymore to compare it to.

It could be related to a particular chemical in the product (which are identical in many of the products), or.........it could also be coincidence, but maybe schip breeders could help you. Suggest you phone a few and ask them. There may be a breed sensitivty??

I was concerned about it, my breed has skin issues, and I just feel that they do better on something else.

Interested to know what you do. If you put it on them again, then suggest you change to a different formulation at next worming date, and see if there is any change. May take a couple of months on a new formula to ascertain if there is any change.

I have always had my dogs on Frontline - more because I've never had a problem with it than because I understand the science of it. We had a really bad flea problem (from some rescue kittens) & Frontline just wasn't doing the job so I swapped all animals over about 4 months ago to Advantage,which I have found much more effective. In the last couple of months my Schipperke has had a few 'petit mal' type episodes which my vet thinks are epilepsy (done full neuro assessment/bloods etc & can find nothing organically wrong). I can't remember the exact dates of the times I gave him Advantage so can't make a direct connection (& tend to think that if it had happened on the actual day I applied it I would probably have remembered).

Just went to give them their monthly flea treatment & pulled myself up sharp - could the change of medication have anything to do at all with the seizures - or is it most likely to be absolutely coincidental ? I have a memory of reading somewhere that certain breeds of dogs showed hypersensitivity to certain flea medication but can't remember the details.

Just wondered whether anyone on here knows anything about Advantage or has had any negative experiences with it ?