Pustules In Ears

I have a rescue dog that continues to get small pustules in his ears. One ear is slightly worse than the other. The ears are clean, I use an ear clean solution regularly, no infection, but he is slightly itchy or irritated if you touch his ears.

Been to the vet, and they don't know.....he has had it for a few months now (since I got him). His ears have improved but not the pustules. Vet just said to try a Neocort cream. I would rather treat the cause than the affect though.

Any ideas guys?

Is it possible that this is a vicious circle and he is creating these by vigourous scratching because the ears are itchy? Maybe an elizabethan collar for a couple of weeks to see if they do away when he can't scratch?

Yep tried that too. He was on anti-biotics as well for extended time due to having surgery and even the antibiotics didn't make a difference.

He isn't actually scratching his ears. But if I touch them, then he must feel uncomfortable or itchy because he then wanders around for 10 minutes shaking and trying to scratch his ears. But not at any other time. He only scratches lightly when he does, not enough to break skin or anything, and very gently if he manages to get his toe in his ear. But that's it....

Oh I was reading somewhere on here, that the ear cleaning solution can be allergic to some dogs too. So I am not going to use it anymore and see what happens. But since I have his ears clean and uninfected, I want to keep them that way -

So can anyone suggest a natural ear cleaner to use? I have been using Epi-optic is there anything else non-allergic.

When I got him 6 months ago, his ears were just solid with black wax, so we have came quite a way. Just worried there is an underlying problem causing his ear pustules that I am missing.

Would anyone think that an allergy of any other sort would just cause these small skin eruptions inside his ears only?

I have him on a raw diet, with a very small amount of premium kibble a couple of times a week. He is a large breed and has gained 10kg since I got him, but a few more kg's would be nice. I had him on sensitive kibble for a week or so and didn't notice any change either.

Thoughts are appreciated....

Edited by AngelSoul

My girl Ashka used to get very bad ears.

Check the diet you’re feeding because some ingredients can worsen these conditions. I'd go a fish (tuna canned cat food no preservatives or added extras from coles or sardines) and really well cooked rice diet with 2 Tbls well washed grated carrot and celery and 1/2 to 1 clove of garlic in each meal. Try this for a couple of weeks then slowly reduce rice and fish volume as you add a different food each time. Try each one for a week or so then add something else and try to see if it's allergy based.

You could keep to the rice/fish/veg diet if you get a good result but if your dog's really active or a large breed you will need to get red meat in there. Also fresh bones to keep teeth clean.

Also try a natural product ear claener. There are a few to try.

Good luck!

Did some googling for you. :rolleyes:

Epi Otic active ingredients = Lactic acid & salicylic acid. A great product for cleansing otherwise healthy ears but maybe not so good for intensive long term use?

Wouldn't hurt to switch to another product on this dog.

Couple of popular ones to choose between:

Illium Ear Drops (mfr claims active against mites AND bacteria And fungal infections) Active ingredients:Dichlorophen 5mg/mL, Lignocaine HCl 5mg/mL, Piperonyl butoxide 5mg/mL, Pyrethrins 500µg/mL.

Vets All Natural Herbal Ear Cleanser:

Active ingredients:aloe vera juice, sea minerals, 3% hydrogen peroxide & tea tree oil.

I have nfi what "sea minerals" are supposed to be but the rest should be ok against minor infections as well as dissolving wax.

Personally I would try the Illium if you suspect mites but I imagine that if the vet is suggesting cortisone cream that mites have been ruled out. In which case aloe vera juice and tea tree oil sound good to me... but then again the lignocaine in the Illium is probably going to soothe any irritation faster.

There are other products - you choose. But considering the length of time here I would stop using the Epi Otic on him. JMO.