Need Help

Jibwa

Hey All,

I have a 7mth ridge/mastiff/staff, is causing problems.

I need to get him to stop jumping up on the window to see out. The whole saying no, growling and asking him to sit process isn't working. Ive tried putting cans with stones in them on the window so when he jumps he knocks them off and gets frightened by the noise but he just plays with the cans before and after they have fallen. Any other ideas?

Also he keeps stealing items from around the house. I keep trying to tell mum to keep doors shut but she isnt learning. Is there a way i can get him to stop taking items for a walk?

One more thing, My mum keeps trying to show him that shes top dog, but when were back in the country and its just the two of us, I am top dog, so should i stop her from trying to be top dog also?

I love the little fella but mother getting annoyed with him is starting to get on my nerves. :happydance:

Thanks

HI

Simple :happydance:

provide him with a platform/step or chair to jump up on- then he is not about to damage the window, and he can see what's happening !

regarding the 'stealing'- what items does he have which are HIS-to carry around and play with?

make sure there are a few of his things which he can 'find'.

Also- make sure he is walked at least twice a day-on lead, so he has to concentrate, and has his short obedience sessions each day- this will help divert his energy away from doing 'naughty' things around the house.

Your mum really does need to keep doors closed ;)

Hmm, all of my ridgebacks have been particularly interested in the comings and goings of the street...and in order to do that, they need to have their paws up on the window seat so they can just stretch up and see outside.

That's just the way they are, but persephone gives a great suggestion to provide a little step that they can stand on to see out without having to have the paws up - although I am sure he may still have his paws on the windowsill regardless! Is it really that bad? Is he doing a lot of damage?

The only way to stop them stealing things is to make sure you are really super vigilant about not leaving things around that they can steal, or restricting access to those rooms that they will be able to steal things from.

We can pretty much leave ours (9mths) safely around now without worrying about what she might steal, but occasionally she will sneak in and grab something if she can. But that's our fault, not hers.

Always make sure you've got their toys around that they can grab and play with - or even grab a kong and put some peanut butter in it for them to chase around & lick the PB out.

Are you giving him plenty of short walks to keep him occupied?

I like the idea of a platform Persephone, not sure mother will go for it (will make the room look untidy).

When we are at mine, i leave his toys around for him to find and run around with. However I'm not allowed to leave them around at mums. He's also not allowed to play inside while we are staying with mum :rofl: I think she's forgotten what its like to have puppies around the house.

He's not doing a lot of damage, its an old house which has dodge wood work as is, so any damage he does will be repaired before she sells. I just don't want her to be yelling at him constantly.

I try to get him walked twice a day except the weather atm is restricting that a little. But i do try to counter that with some training and games inside. not quite the same i know.

I actually think he's improving, not stealing as much and if he does he drops it quicker when asked. We will get there, glad school holidays are almost over. We can head home and back to normal living haha

When we are at mine, i leave his toys around for him to find and run around with. However I'm not allowed to leave them around at mums. He's also not allowed to play inside while we are staying with mum :love: I think she's forgotten what its like to have puppies around the house.

I actually think he's improving, not stealing as much and if he does he drops it quicker when asked. We will get there, glad school holidays are almost over. We can head home and back to normal living haha

It sounds like you'll be fine once you return back to normal status!! You poor thing. It can be hard though, having a puppy around when you're not used to it, even if it's YOUR puppy - LOL. We had two geriatrics, who both passed away, then we were left alone, so it had been 12 years since we'd had a puppy (how hard can it be :rofl: ?) so we were totally unprepared too, but... I have to say I'm surprised how easy it now is - every week appears to get better, so you'll get there - just be patient with him as I am sure you are, and keep persisting - quiet persistence i call it! :o