Trialling At The Ekka

Just wondering if anyone has ever trialled at the Ekka before and can tell me what the grounds etc are like. I've never been to see the obedience/agility trials before so was hoping to find out whether there is any shade/shelter available, is it outdoors etc? Should I bring my gazebo or would it be too much hassle trying to cart it in? Also how long does the day usually go for, I assume it'll be a pretty huge entry. Thanks in advance!

Just wondering if anyone has ever trialled at the Ekka before and can tell me what the grounds etc are like. I've never been to see the obedience/agility trials before so was hoping to find out whether there is any shade/shelter available, is it outdoors etc? Should I bring my gazebo or would it be too much hassle trying to cart it in? Also how long does the day usually go for, I assume it'll be a pretty huge entry. Thanks in advance!

Seita, I havent ever trialled there but have been every year for the last 10+ to catch up with old friends who are trialling or judging & it's classified by most as a very difficult trial. It is held on Oval 2 which is the one at the end of sideshow alley, this is also the oval where they judge (& exercise every morning) the cattle/sheep/goats etc. If you don't know the oval I mean, it is completely bare of shade etc but so cramped that there isnt alot of room for shade canopies etc. If you wanted to take one I would advise that you get there as early as you possibly can to get a spot. There are the usual Ekka problems of food all over the ground, rides going within spitting distance, kids screaming on the rides, crowds of people, animals walking past etc.

I don't know what it's been like the last few years, but there has traditionally been low entries in most classes except for agility because of the conditions & it is usually finished fairly early. The only thing Im not sure of is if you have to come into the ground through the dog pavillion (as far away from Oval 2 as you can get :clap::shhh: ) or if they let you in the gate at the top behind the sheep/goathousing, so I cant help much with the carting gazebo question.

Hope that helps.

Oh wow, that'll be interesting then! Had good practice last weekend in that case - we were at Durack, the trial ring was set up between the bottom road and the sheep yards (where the showies regularly toilet their dogs)... needless to say there were not a lot of qualifies that day either! I think I might attempt to bring the gazebo and just get there early.

Good luck, Im not going on the Saturday this year as we'll be down the coast doing a dancing demo, but I will be going to the Ekka on the Sunday to see the Dances with Dogs competition & cheer on my fellow club members :) .

Edited by MrsD

• 3 weeks later...

So, how did you go at the Ekka yesterday Seita? I was hoping you'd do well :p .

I am competing in the Dances with Dogs today, talk about nervous :D :cheer: .

Edited by MrsD

Unfortunately no good for us. Top score went to a german shepherd in UD with 198/200 followed closesly by a border collie in UD with 196. Ella was one of the very last dogs on and she'd been stuck in a crate for 6 hours and was over it. She worked really well but lost concentration on the distance control and didn't drop. She would have ended up with 175NQ had I done the stays but I pulled her out of them. It would have been her best score yet (195) if she'd done the damn command!!! :D :p But she worked soo well on everything else that I'm still happy, plus she got her title last weekend so it didnt really matter! Goodluck in the doggy dancing!

How was it?

As for the trial, I didn't actually think it was that difficult - I expected much worse and she really worked very well, my only issue with it is how they drag the day out soo much. Like they took a morning tea break after the first 5 dogs had been judged, then with 2 dogs left to judge in my class they took an hours lunch break... looking forward to being in UD next year and getting to compete inside the tent rather than outside in the heat! :D