Staffy - Females Worth More Then Males?

su888

:( Flame me if you like but I do charge more for my bitches. Female Havanese are few and far between but then my girls only go to other breeders and show homes so it doesn't affect the pet buyers. The other breeders also do the same in my breed as far as I know and I am not an unethical breeder.

I must say I get a bit sick of these threads about what this and that breeder charges and why. A breeder is welcome to charge anything they want for any puppy they have - be it male/female/blue/green/purple with pink pokadots. What they charge may or may not have any bearing on the breeder's ethics. It is up to the purchaser to do their research, talk to many different breeders and not just by email, prefereably meet their dogs and judge at face value. If they do not like what they find then they should move on - if they do then buy.

When I bred beagles and belonged to the breed club, it was pretty standard for all breeder members to charge basically the same amount regardless - when one breeder started asking more - all did. This was great as all pitential buyers had to do was find the breeder they were comfortable with, without the pricing war crap. Also with more or less 2 colour choices, it was pretty straightforward there also.

With my currrent breed there is no decent club and breeders that tend to keep very much to themselves. While my pricing is similar to what my breeder charges, it is not set. I change my pricing a little, with about every litter I have. Once I charged more for the girls than the boys, because the girls were very good in that litter and I had higher demand for them. Another time I charged more for one colour than another, because the demand was far greater, and putting a higher price on "popular" colours can scare off those (often byb's) after a bargain. Another time I charged more for one particular bitch, because she was the standout pick of the litter. I may quote a high price to one person, who I am not so sure about, and a cheaper price for the same pup to someone who I know will show or desex that pup, depending on my wishes for the pup concernered. When I get enquiries, even after the pups are born, I generally give a price range rather than a set price. A lot of it depends on how the individual pup turns out, and with my breed - they do change a great deal and it is not easy to sort them out till they are up on their feet, and even then they continue to change alot.

When looking at chihuahuas, the pricing is absolutely all over the place. To judge breeders on their pricing alone is just ridiculous. In fact I have found in some cases that some very knowledgable breeders are sometimes far more reasonable in their pricing then some of the reg'd puppy farmer types.

Edited by badboyz