Whats Going On Here?

Luka my 9 month oldDobe comes inside , usually of an evening. I have one big dog bed in the kitchen/dining area. It is in direct view of where i sit on the couch in the loung about 4 meteres away. When i invite him in he hops straight on the bed....but he is up and down like a fart in a bottle. When my big dogs come in i prefer them to stay on their bed and only hop off when invited. Well Luka as i said is up every minute. He'll walk off the bed to come over upon which i will say "BED" he stops just looking at me. Then he might try and take another step upon which i will say "BED" again and if he doesnt go i stand up to take him back, upon which he quickly scoots back onto his bed as soon as i stand up, highly annoying. Sometimes i'll only tell him once before i stand up. So he does know what bed means but is he not taking me seriously when i say it? Or does he just get immense enjoyment out of making me get up off my cosy spot as payback for me being hard on him,LOL. So why does he do this when he obviously knows what bed means, is he just trying to push boundaries, seeing if he can get away with it. Expert opinions please :rolleyes:

Luka my 9 month oldDobe comes inside , usually of an evening. I have one big dog bed in the kitchen/dining area. It is in direct view of where i sit on the couch in the loung about 4 meteres away. When i invite him in he hops straight on the bed....but he is up and down like a fart in a bottle. When my big dogs come in i prefer them to stay on their bed and only hop off when invited. Well Luka as i said is up every minute. He'll walk off the bed to come over upon which i will say "BED" he stops just looking at me. Then he might try and take another step upon which i will say "BED" again and if he doesnt go i stand up to take him back, upon which he quickly scoots back onto his bed as soon as i stand up, highly annoying. Sometimes i'll only tell him once before i stand up. So he does know what bed means but is he not taking me seriously when i say it? Or does he just get immense enjoyment out of making me get up off my cosy spot as payback for me being hard on him,LOL. So why does he do this when he obviously knows what bed means, is he just trying to push boundaries, seeing if he can get away with it. Expert opinions please :rolleyes:

I'll take a stab in the dark so to speak.

When you tell him to go to his bed....how does it work?

"Bed"

He goes to his bed.

"Good boy, who's a good boy? Goooood boy!!!"

So he gets praise for GOING to his bed.

What is his motivation for STAYING there?

What's in it for him?

ETA: Highlighting "STAYING"

Edited by Luke W

Might be worth checking the bed itself to make sure there's nothing wrong with it.

Mine has done similar things before, first reason was that his bed was getting a bit packed down and wasn't comfortable anymore so I added extra stuffing, problem fixed straight away. Second reason was that one of the cats had peed in his bed :rolleyes: Poor dog didn't want to sit in it (don't blame him!), but I hadn't noticed the smell and kept telling him off for not staying.

So worth making sure of :eek:

Kaiser is the same, he's starting to settle a bit faster now. it takes him about half an hour to and hour to get the point - "go to sleep or go out side"

you just have to be firm, maybe give them a bit of a cuddle when there staying.

Consistancy is the key.

One command, failure to follow instantly = making him do it (every time without fail)

Never more than one command if he has some understanding of whats required.

Dogs hate making the wrong choice if you are consistant.