Clicker Training

I think clickers are great for people with little or no intonation. I think teaching timing is probably better and easier with a clicker too. A click for my dog means we are working. I can click a clicker faster than my tongue and click faster than a yes so marking the dog correct leaves less chance for error. I love the clicker DVDs such as puppy shaping, magical to watch.There will be some on utube I am sure. I have been lazy with the clicker but I have a very responsive dog right now and it is fun learning tricks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's great going to obedience school and seeing dogs that have been going for so many years and still enjoying themselves and learning new tricks. Does your doggy know many cool tricks?
There are a few on our Youtube page - shutting doors, taking socks off, putting things in things (see my sig). He can do others that I haven't got around to videoing yet - our faves are 'kiss' and him unzipping my jacket, and pulling the sleeves to help me take it off. I originally heard of the behaviour as an assistance dog task, but Wal is far too intense when he does it to be much help to someone who wasn't pretty active. He'd probably injure rather than help them lol. We're working on untying shoe laces, roll over, flat on his side, crawl. And I'm thinking about body targeting too. I've tried that in the past and not had much success but now I think I know how to do it.

But I also continue to reward the thing's we've been doing for years - come when called, handling, sit, drop etc.

That is so cool, what keywords should I put in to get your videos or better yet what is your youtube username? Would be interesting and funny to watch.

what keywords should I put in to get your videos or better yet what is your youtube username? Would be interesting and funny to watch.
I'm KoolieMum, but if you search Wal Koolie I think you'll find all 3 of the vids I've got up atm. You've motivated me, I'll try to video the taking off my jacket trick and put it up this week.

what keywords should I put in to get your videos or better yet what is your youtube username? Would be interesting and funny to watch.
I'm KoolieMum, but if you search Wal Koolie I think you'll find all 3 of the vids I've got up atm. You've motivated me, I'll try to video the taking off my jacket trick and put it up this week.

Great thank you, will look at them soon and give you some funny feedbacks. :happydance:

I just quickly watched one, the trick where he puts things in a bucket was sooooo cute. He is adorable and he uses his foot to get it in completely was so intelligent. Love it, will watch more tomorrow as my husband is asleep next to me and I have the laptop on mute. But great job and keep it up and more videos please. Thank you. :happydance:

What you click is what you enforce, just like any other re enforcement.

I often wonder, why negative re enforcement, or avoidance training worked. Were dogs more high drive generally? Are show lines taking over as pets? After all there is not much warrant for working line dogs nowadays in Australia.

Teach teach teach then proof.

I would prefer a seen sermon, to a spoken one!!!!!!!!!

I have just bought myself ( and the new puppy) a clicker - and will definately be trailing this version of training.

Just remember that "clicker training" is not a new fang dangle 'version' of training. It is merely a sound (*click*) that replaces a marker word (*yes*) that has been used in training methods (not just the 'positive only' styles) for yonks.

Are show lines taking over as pets?

I don't check out the 'lineage' of all the dogs I see as 'clients' so I can't speak from a statistical pov. But you could be right, LL. I wonder though, given the busy life styles people lead these days and the restrictions imposed (necessarily) on dogs having to be locked in yards and in many cases restrained on leads, what it would be like for them if they possessed the high drive of the working lines .... drive that would not be regularly satisfied ???? I do see more than enough dogs though who are weak on nerve and without the right upbringing perhaps lead a problematic life at the other end of the scale to a dog with unsatisfied higher drive.

My preference is for working-line bred dogs and I like to see working lines out and about, but I like to see them as happy, well-balanced and satisfied dogs. I love that many people are engaging in sporting activities that match the drive for which their dog has been bred for. I wish it could be more but I do think dog sports are increasing in membership. Or could that perhaps be my impression because of the circles I mix in? It would be very sad indeed if the working-line angle was to become completely lost.

Edited by Erny

[quote name='Erny' date='5th Sep 2008 - 01:01 PM' post='2970547'. Or could that perhaps be my impression because of the circles I mix in? It would be very sad indeed if the working-line angle was to become completely lost.

Yes indeed, often thought Australia was becoming too regulated, including canine opportunities.

Hunting being a perfect example. Urbanisation, drought etc.

NZ looks good!!!!!! Relatively close, long suffering had suggested moving in the past. Mind you I was surprised with their general prices and house costs, while touring a year ago.

NZ looks good!!!!!! Relatively close, long suffering had suggested moving in the past.

From my understanding NZ don't have half the crazy dog laws and restrictions we do here and I must say that I was slightly musing about life in NZ myself only the other week.

Edited by Erny

Are show lines taking over as pets?

I don't check out the 'lineage' of all the dogs I see as 'clients' so I can't speak from a statistical pov. But you could be right, LL. I wonder though, given the busy life styles people lead these days and the restrictions imposed (necessarily) on dogs having to be locked in yards and in many cases restrained on leads, what it would be like for them if they possessed the high drive of the working lines .... drive that would not be regularly satisfied ???? I do see more than enough dogs though who are weak on nerve and without the right upbringing perhaps lead a problematic life at the other end of the scale to a dog with unsatisfied higher drive.

My preference is for working-line bred dogs and I like to see working lines out and about, but I like to see them as happy, well-balanced and satisfied dogs. I love that many people are engaging in sporting activities that match the drive for which their dog has been bred for. I wish it could be more but I do think dog sports are increasing in membership. Or could that perhaps be my impression because of the circles I mix in? It would be very sad indeed if the working-line angle was to become completely lost.

This is an interesting discussion - working vs show lines dogs. I have 2 BC's - one definite show lines dog (all dogs in his pedigree are show champions or grand champions) and one of unknown heritage but who looks like a working lines dog and has MASSIVE drive and will to work and instinctively knew what to do with sheep, but is mostly calm about it, not the crazy exciteable nature that some have. (She's one of the ones you have to keep an eye one or they will work themselves into the ground, literally.)

Xena who is just over 2 (my first dog and I was ignorant of any training method so went with te first I came across) was originally trained very harshly with a check chain ('If you correct your dog twice and it repeats the behaviour you have not corrected hard enough' was the ethos of the 'trainer'.) and responded quite well - she won't dare move off a stay because she is afraid of the punishment that is to come, but has not had her spirit broken and accepts the correction as part of life. That said she responds even better to clicker training and more (not totally) positive methods.

I find the clicker is better for marking the correct behaviour, not becuase I can time it better, but because it forces me to very definitely mark the behaviour, rather than maybe mark the behaviour with 'yes' or maybe not. Once the behaviour is sound we then move on to 'yes' and may return to the clicker if we need to sharpen it up. At the moment we are 'fixing' her dodgy contact work in agility - again first time dog rushed through.

CK (just under 2), my second dog is the show lines boy and is very soft in nature and while in comparison to many dogs is quite high drive and wants to work once switched on it has to be fun for him or he will lose interest immediately. Any correction or even a lack of reward will shut him down. eg: WiIf my girl gets an obstacle wrong you pull her out and send her again 10 times if you need to (would never do it 10 times, but I have experimented with pulling her out of weavers time and time again just for fun) and all that happens is she tells you off for slowing down on the course, but she keeps trying. If you stop CK twice he gets all sad about getting it wrong and goes away to sniff the ground. There is very limited need for any aversive training with him and the clicker is just brilliant to the point where he starts getting excited when I bring it out.

My conclusion - I love my boy and he is a great pet and very easy to live with, but my girl is definitely my favourite, but a PITA to live with if you can't train her enough EVERY day. It takes CK about 4 days without training to begin to get a bit ratty and even then it's bearable. They are definitely not for everyone, in fact probably not even most people, but give me a relaxed, high drive working dog any day.

I find the clicker great to "fix" behaviours that are broken (yes they were initially taught with the clicker).

Also, having just got back from the Adelaide Royal - the moment we arrived and the crowd were setting up in the stands - I had my clicker out doing some heeling and positions around the crowd, clicking and treating, and the dog thought this was just another distraction game and was unphased by the crowd or the noise.

This is an interesting discussion - working vs show lines dogs.

Reddii, you must not, from time to time check the general forum as many debates have ruffled feathers.

Australia has predominantly show lines, due to owners and breeders, which is fine if that is their interest.

I have no real idea on GSDs being one example, especially regarding health, form/function, but some roached backs worry me.

I use a bridge word (for us it's 'yes') rather than the clicker because I found that I got in a huge tangle with lead, treats and clicker, I just couldn't get it together. It works fine for us as we aren't doing precision training, just regular home obedience.

Later on if we get into agility I might switch back to the clicker, I don't imagine he'd have any issues with making a change. If there's treats involved he'll get the idea!