On Mat Indoors

With any training it's just a lot of repetition. We would put Saxon on his mat and tell him to "stay on your bed"... now when he comes inside, we just tell him to lay on his bed and he does... he doesn't stay there all the time, but if we tell him to get back on it he does... It didn't take very long for him to get the hang of it..

Hi-

if your dog already knows Sit & Down & Stay- mat training will be easier :rofl:

get a nice comfy mat/bed, put something of the dog's or yours on it - take the dog over onto the mat- tell it to sit, or lie down.... and quietly praise, give treats etc., while saying "Mat" ,Or "Place" or whatever word you are going to use.

Do this several times a day- saying Mat first, then treating/praising, when dog is sitting/lying on the mat.

Then get dog to "stay"... and increase the amount of time.

I also think it is important that the mat/bed is in a spot which feels secure for the dog, and is out of the way of people's foot traffic.

Make the mat a great place to be- make it the only spot indoors where special treats/toys are allowed!!

It may take a while...

tell others in the house your rule!! :rofl:

im just in the process of teaching my foster dog to lie on a matt - he is crate trained so it makes things a little easier.... but having only been doing it for a few hours he already has the hand of it, he just wants to move when i get up and move around or my 2 are moving around (as they dont have to stay anywhere)

My foster boy is quite submissive and im hoping that when he goes to his new home it will of benefit if he feels secure if he has somewhere of his own - that he knows he is allowed...

I would teach them separately as well. That way it is easier for them and you. I agree with everyone else, it just takes a bit of time each day & patience.

I have an old leather couch that my four go on. If they are inside when we are eating that is where they sit while we eat...and where they tend to spend much of the day. I taught them separately & now one command send them all there. If I send them there, they know they are to stay there until released.

Another tip when teaching...keep eye contact to a minimum. I keep an eye on mine peripherally. I correct verbally (just a casual "stop" or "ahh") when they are thinking about getting off, not once they are off.

Edited by Vickie