Problems With Crate Training

kristin_e102

Hi everyone,

I need some advice in regards to my 9 (almost 10) week old lab. He wees in his bed nearly every night, despite my efforts getting up every 3 hours during the night. He loves going into his crate and often uses it during the day but doesnt seem to mind going to the toilet in it! I thought the whole reasoning behind crate training was that dogs dont like going to the toilet where they sleep so they cry to be let out? He doesnt cry to go to the toilet but when he does cry he just wants to play!

Please help as Im getting a nice pile of soiled dog bedding!

Cheers,

Kristin

How big is the crate?

Do you let him out and try to get him to the toilet every time he cries?

Do you you play with him when you let him out as a response to his crying?

Is he a 'petstore' dog ?

My pug did this too! She is mostly good now - and hasn't peed on her bed since we got another pup and they share the bed. I don't know if she was confused or if it was for attention but she has seemed to grow out of it now.....thank goodness.

Does your pup have access to water just before bed or during the night?

This is an interesting question. I've heard lots of conflicting advice — some people say take your pups water up after dinner, others say that you should never deny your dog fresh drinking water. I must say my gut instinct is always give Martha access to fresh water, and put up with overnight accidents should they occur. Then again, Martha is around 95% toilet-trained during the day but she does still have accidents at night. Perhaps I'm prolonging the toilet training process?

But what do others think? Does it do them any harm to restrict access to water in the evenings to prevent accidents?

Sorry to get off topic Kristen. I don't crate train so can't answer the question, but it would certainly help to know how big the crate is.

Try changing the type of bedding (texture). Our new little girl likes to wee on towels but not fleece or drybed. (found this out the hard way) So we have the fleece over her bed and a towel near the door of her crate and she goes there not if she can't hold on during the night.

How big is the crate?

I'm no expert (tonight is night number 3 :rofl: ), but we bought a large crate for our new lab puppy and we've blocked of half of it which seems to work really well. So far no accidents in her crate :)

We used a piece of compost fencing that we got at the hardware shop, and we've cable-tied it inside the crate so she can't knock the barrier over. As she gets bigger we'll slowly move it across until it can be removed altogether.

Currently she's got a space that's about twice the area she takes up when she's sprawled out... and she loves it!

Does your pup have access to water just before bed or during the night?

But what do others think? Does it do them any harm to restrict access to water in the evenings to prevent accidents?

Hi botheration! I'm loving hearing your stories about Martha BTW... :)

I let Geordie drink all day until it's time for bed. I let her have a big drink, then we got outside for her bedtime wee. Then she doesn't have any again until the morning. She doesn't seem overly thirsty in the morning so I think it works for her.

Hehe, she's snoring at the moment - puppy snores are so cute! :rofl:

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply, have been away with Tayza for the weekend!

Crate is extra large but there is a piece of wire (that came with it, just cant think of the name!) cutting it basically in half. He has enough room to spread out and turn around but not enough to think that one end is 'toilet end'.

I do let him out every time he cries and i dont speak to him but take him straight out to the grass. sometimes he goes to the toilet but other times he wants to play so he gets picked up and put straight back into his crate and ignored until he goes back to sleep (usually within 3 minutes).

No he is not a 'petstore' pup, he came from a registered breeder.

Interestingly enough, he hasnt gone to the toilet for the past 3 nights in his bed and has slept right through til 5-6am which Im happy about then he goes back to sleep til 7.30-8am when I get up... fingers crossed Ive seen the last of the 'crate-wees'.

Also, I have been reading some other posts from people about what age is suitable to leave a pup outside during the day while im at work/uni. Tayza is 10 weeks and has been outside most of the time. He is inside when I am home but seems to like being outside, despite the cries and whines when i leave. By the time I get home he is usually curled up in his crate with a bone... Is this safe?

Cheers,

Kristin

P.S tayza dug his first hole this morning :) ... and so it begins

Glad the weeing in the crate seems to have stopped- he could have also had some bladder irritation,too :laugh:

tayza dug his first hole this morning rolleyes.gif ... and so it begins

OK- now he gets his own sandpit!!

make him a large sandpit- bury his toys etc...let him dig THERE :)

Make the rest of the places he could dig in unpleasant- leave some rocks around- bury netting underground ( I did this to our flower beds- stops chooks too!)... sprinkle his dropping in holes, make SURE he has a cool, sandy spot , sheltered, in which to rest. They love lying on soft cool sand :cheer:

If you are sure the yard is escape proof and safe- and he seems happy- by all means leave him out :rofl:

Hi botheration! I'm loving hearing your stories about Martha BTW... :rofl:

I know! It's brilliant having all these Lab pups on the forum. Sometimes I feel so desperately in love with Martha I think it might be a tad unhealthy. Then I remember that there's a place I can come too and rabbit on about my dog with people who feel just the same way.

I let Geordie drink all day until it's time for bed. I let her have a big drink, then we got outside for her bedtime wee. Then she doesn't have any again until the morning. She doesn't seem overly thirsty in the morning so I think it works for her.

Ok. I'm going to try it tonight.

Martha has been fantastic with toilet training lately. *Knocks frantically on anything remotely wooden* But we always seem to miss a nighttime widdle.

Sorry for the late reply, have been away with Tayza for the weekend!

Did he have fun? And where's our pictures!

I do let him out every time he cries and i dont speak to him but take him straight out to the grass. sometimes he goes to the toilet but other times he wants to play so he gets picked up and put straight back into his crate and ignored until he goes back to sleep (usually within 3 minutes).

Maybe you should be hanging around with him outside for a while. Just ignore him if he wants to play. He will get bored and may urinate then. Just a thought. I often had to hang out with Martha for a minute or two before she finally went. Not fun at 3 in the morning, of course.

When I was still going out with Martha every hour I kept my partner's big fluffy dressing gown at the door with my iPod in it. I listen to audio books and podcasts from the BBC, so everytime we went outside I'd get another installment.

Interestingly enough, he hasnt gone to the toilet for the past 3 nights in his bed and has slept right through til 5-6am which Im happy about then he goes back to sleep til 7.30-8am when I get up... fingers crossed Ive seen the last of the 'crate-wees'.

Fingers crossed!

Also, I have been reading some other posts from people about what age is suitable to leave a pup outside during the day while im at work/uni. Tayza is 10 weeks and has been outside most of the time. He is inside when I am home but seems to like being outside, despite the cries and whines when i leave. By the time I get home he is usually curled up in his crate with a bone... Is this safe?

I don't know, but I look forward to responses as I would like to start putting Martha outside. I have a shed which I'm converting into a kennel.

P.S tayza dug his first hole this morning :) ... and so it begins

Tell me about it. Before I got Martha, gardening was actually an interest. I'm too busy to worry about the garden now, but I was planning to start a thread asking others what tips they have on keeping the garden nice with a puppy who likes to dig and gnaw on plants. I have got a whole lot of bulbs in the garden and flowering annuals in the garden, but I can see I'm going to have to reevaluate the outdoor area. I think I am going to go for hardy annuals in the garden bed, and save the flowers for pots which I can elevate.

Sorry to go off-topic...

Good Luck.

I am in agreement with experimenting with the bedding type..this has previously worked for me.

Also the access to water part I think is crucial..... I carefully monitor what they have later in the evening and try to make sure we get plenty of pees on the grass before coming in. I toilet them with a lead when training for staying overnight in the crate and they seem to learn quickly that a pee means lots of praise and they come running for a little play...then we try for a poo. It has become a pretty set routine with my BCs. Also I make these odd hand gestures and use a different (yes, my friends say "odd") little voice to encourage some peeing and pooing.

Prinnie

Well, I spoke too soon! We had another bed wetting last night! He doesnt even cry when he needs to go to the toilet so how am I meant to know when he needs to go, outside of the set times that I take him??????????????????????????????????????????

He loves his crate and takes all his "treasured possessions" in there, so its not that he doesnt like, therefore doesnt care if he goes to the toilet in there! What the hell is going on???

Great hint with the sandpit, will give that a go when we get to our new house on saturday...

I would love to put some piccies up but I wouldnt have a clue how! The attachment section below says that the files are too big... ANy advice on how to do that would be great!

Cheers,

Kristin

Bummer about last night's accident. Hopefully they will become more and more infrequent as time passes. We've had our lab for 4 weeks now and she's finally (almost) house-trained, both during the day when she's free to wander and at night in her crate. It really just took persistence and time (sorry - i know that doesn't really help you much!). We take her water away about an hour before she goes to bed and that seemed to help with the frequency of toilet breaks during the night.

Well, I spoke too soon! We had another bed wetting last night! He doesnt even cry when he needs to go to the toilet so how am I meant to know when he needs to go, outside of the set times that I take him??????????????????????????????????????????

He loves his crate and takes all his "treasured possessions" in there, so its not that he doesnt like, therefore doesnt care if he goes to the toilet in there! What the hell is going on???

Great hint with the sandpit, will give that a go when we get to our new house on saturday...

I would love to put some piccies up but I wouldnt have a clue how! The attachment section below says that the files are too big... ANy advice on how to do that would be great!

Cheers,

Kristin

Oh what a shame! Keep trying though...!

To shrink photos, I open them in paint, then go to 'Image' then 'Stretch/Skew' and shrink them to about 20% by 20%. Then save it as a NEW file name (you'll want to keep the large versions for photos!). Then try attaching the new file to here. That always works for me.

Also, I just thought of something. Are you sure he is weeing in his crate? Or could it be drool or spilt water?

I though Geordie had wet her bed the other day (as it was a little damp in one part), but when I watched her take a nap she blows wet bubbles out of her nose, that make the bed feel damp. :):eat: So cute!

Yes I thought it could be drool but its just too wet - it was dripping yesterday! And he doesnt have water in his crate...

I just thought of something - he only wees when it is new bedding (which of course is nearly every day) so could he be marking his territory?

He did it again last night :laugh:

Thanks so much for all your help, this is really baffling me!

(and Ill give the photo fixer a go a little later when I have more time..

Cheers,

Kristin