Night Time Toileting

Golden Nut

Hi,

Ive been using a crate successfully for 8wk old foster puppies over the past 4 months.

I've been putting the puppies to bed around 10.30pm and then wake them up around 2.30am to take them to the toilet. They generally sleep then until 5.30am.

Should I wake them up during the night to go to the toilet or wait until they wake me up to go?

Thanks heaps.

ps. Im picking up my own puppy - a Golden Retriever - on Sunday and Im very excited!!

Yup, I'm letting Rumour let me know when she needs to go out. The first few nights it was 5 times a night! Now (one week later) she is sleeping through the night. Thank goodness - the broken sleep was killing me! :o

WOW I full heartedly feel for you as I went through that with my now 9 month old baby, and boy did I learn the hard way. We didn't have a crate, nor kennel, only a room say the size of a bathroom with a filled water dispenser bottle nearby, a bed with blanket, her favourite plush squeaky toys and newspaper laid on the floor. I previously lived where I worked and started from 5:40am and throughout the day and night till 11pm. So i took her out on the lawn at every opportunity but for secruity placed newspapers.

Most of the time she would relieve herself on the newspaper which covered the entire floor and for some strange reason would poop in her bed, and she would go sleep somewhere clean. That infuriated me. After 3 months my husband built a pen outside in the garage with a larger floor space and we only laid a small area for newspapers and she did her business there. When we move to a new house at age 5 months she finally had access to the lawns all day and night whenever she pleased and no more newspapers. But as winter came the room she slept in was partially open to the backyard so had cold air circulating all the time, we put her to sleep inside the spare room.

Now being inside most of the time she lets me know when to let her out by standing at the door and growling. What I've learned now without any secruity of newspapers is not to have water in the same area where she sleeps, only give her access if she's had some treat which needs washing down or playing/ exercising late at night and you have to let her drink. But usually she doesn't drink after 9pm and we take her out to the lawn every hour up till we put her to bed around 10-11pm. If I'm still awake and decide to go to the bathroom I will take her with me and let her go also.

She won't need to go until my husband gets up at 6am for work then she sleeps inside even up till 11.30 or 1pm without a toilet break. She can holder longer as shes gotten older thank gosh. I've found unless she walks past her water bowl and drinks it allow her but if she doesn't don't leave it next her while she is sleeping or intends to.

You must so many sleepless nights when your constantly taking her out but I couldn't do it anymore especially work all day and night so newspaper was the best choice for me and no food after their dinner time or extra water after 8-9pm. Only if she hasn't been working herself into a sweat even just playing rough for awhile will need water.

Please remember we've been through this and survived so hang in there and I hope you find a way for your baby and you as each case - individual is different. GOOD LUCK!!!