First Time Dog Owner - Books?

Teebs

Can anyone recommend a good book or dvd for a first time dog owner? I have had dogs all my life, so have never had to worry about it! But SIL is getting a new dog and have not owned one before

Also what things to puppies need? My nieces birthday soon, and i am going to get her stuff she needs - Will get her a few bags of dog food (just what every 6 year old wants :thumbsup: ) and some toys, and i am trying to work out a good kennel!

Thanks!

The KISS guide to owning a dog (I think that's what it's called) is pretty good, covers things like selecting a puppy, bedding, toys, grooming equipment, training and all that.

Apart from that, I guess crate training, housebreaking, and training in general would be good topics to buy books about, perhaps something about canine mentality & behaviour would be useful (like The Dog Whisperer, not the CM one, the other one by the Irish guy. Martin McKenna I think his name is.)

And what do puppies need?

...lots & lots of toys! :laugh:

Matters what type of dog they're getting but I read "Labrador Retrievers for Dummies" from cover to cover and learnt so much!

Get your niece a hot pink/blue lead and collar for the pup if you know what sex they're getting!! I think I like Geordie's collar and lead more than she does! :thanks:

• 1 month later...
Matters what type of dog they're getting but I read "Labrador Retrievers for Dummies" from cover to cover and learnt so much!

I agree with getting a 'For dummies' book - I've had dogs for years yet learnt so much from the 'Puppies for dummies' book, and it is useful all the way into adolescence. The local library probably has a copy if you want to look at it first. I have spent a lot of money on useless dog books over the years - its better if you can use the book first before getting your own copy.

Guest june.andnovas

i highly recommend this book -

real food for cats and dogs .. claire middle

I've been raw feeding my cats for around 6 months and have read so much information on what is right to be feeding them but it all is so different that you don't really know which to follow. also as to WHY they need (in detail) certian foods and not others.

includes the nutrition of the best raw foods to be feeding either your cat or dog.

at this stage you can only buy the book from a few places in perth. i'm sure it will be in the eastern states very soon!