Dehydrating Dog Treats

Rascal

In puppy problems we were discussing bait and treats. I dehydrate a big VIP puppy roll after being chopped into small cubes and my pugs love it! Does anyone else have any ideas for treats to share?

post-22939-1218240942_thumb.jpg

post-22939-1218240969_thumb.jpg

post-22939-1218241065_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rascal

Ok - I am glad to see this thread here.

I have been thinking about doing this for a while now. Usually I just boil up the liver and use it that way.

Is there anything to look out for when selecting a food dehydrator?

Will need a bigger treat bag soon. :cry:

Make sure it has different temperature settings as apparently you cant do meat in the ones that only have one temp

I got the Ezidry snack maker from these people http://www.natureswonderland.biz/Biodynami...iSnackmaker.htm

Its been good, though I tried chicken thigh and it stayed really greasy, but the livers and kidneys etc have been really good

The liver I dried from raw went chewy and I did it in strips, froze it when not using and it was great, but the liver I boiled first went harder and drier, and was so easy to break up, and could just be left out in a zip loch bag

I think if I had to do it again I would buy one with square trays. Mine is a fowlers Vacola and it works pretty well for meat and fruit (i usually just preserve the fruit) Also I would measure to see if the trays fit into the dishwasher.

I was having a look at a few different models, and looks like I will need about $200 - $300 (and more) for a good one. I like the square ones too, but don't think much about the price tags...

Since I am not likely to do more than the dogs treats in one, would a cheaper model do the job or am I better off parting with more $$$ than I really want to?

I can see a huge saving with making the treats.

For those who have one already --------------------

* what sort are you using,

* how long have you had it,

*would you buy the same brand again,

* or if you were buying another one - which one would you buy now?

Oh and I put it in the garage as its on for a day or more, so only the garage stinks!

Can you please tell me - is it MEGA stinky? :happydance: And can you still use the machine for other things afterwards, or does the meaty smell go into it permanently?

I've had a dehydrator for ages, to do fruit and veg for us, but have never done meat. Too chicken (groaann, sorry :thumbsup:)

I'd like to have a go at some dog treats, but I don't want to stinkify the dehydrator permanently.

TIA

Its stinky while its drying, and probably worse because I do it in the garage so its an all of a sudden smell when I open the door to go check it

It doesnt make the dryer itself stink though, I did meat in it the other day and mushrooms in it last night no probs

I made Isiss sweet potato chips, they took forever!

Now I'm doing more chicken breast for the dogs and some silverside cos I want to see how it works out

I also dry slow cooked a beef roast today, I'm feeling adventurous!!! Havent tried it yet though, it might be horrible!