Diabetic Dogs

karmar

Hi All

I'm looking for someone with a diabetic dog that is using canininsulin but live close Adelaide.

Why I am asking is that our poor kloe (Maltese x) has passed after a teeth cleaning at the vet and had kidney failure due to complications from the anesthetics.

And I would like to give some of her stuff to help someone else out with there dog instead of giving to the vet or throwing it out.

Please send me a PM for details.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by karmar

So sorry to hear of the loss of your dog. Very sad circumstances. :rolleyes:

I lost my diabetic dog at the end of April so I know how devastated you must be.

Dont know anyone near Adelaide but just wanted to say that my heart goes out to you.

Hopefully you will find someone to give the insulin to. Very kind offer for you to make.

Maybe ring the vets and ask them if they have any other clients with diabetic dogs that would love the insulin.

Edited by baifra

Thanks baifra, a very sad time for us as she was our baby girl.

She had a hard life from a pup, 4 knee ops on her back legs and then when she got diabetes she went blind in about a week due to cloudy lenses I think its called cataracts but we had that fixed with lenses implanted when she had her cataracts removed.

WE HAD A HAPPY 10 1/2 YEARS WITH HER.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by karmar

Oh the poor baby!!

My girl was a rescue that I adopted when she was 4. She died of heart failure at the age of 12 so I had 8 amazing years with her.

She had diabetes for 3 years and her eyes were good. We were lucky in that respect.

It sounds like you did the very best by your girl and I'm sure had the most wonderful life.

Yes we tried right to the end when we decide to put her to sleep as that was the best for her also.

We took her everywhere we could even on a houseboat 4 times over the years which she loved going out on the banks and roaming around.

Just picked up her ashes today from the vet and thinking of where to bury them.

Also if her things can help anyone further away and can arrange postage if it can be would be OK to just thought closer could be picked up or dropped of.

Cheers

Edited by karmar

I'm pretty sure that you can't post items that need to be refridgerated. I looked into cheaper insulin for Sammt when we moved to far north Queensland. The prices up here were insane!! I used to pay $55.00 in the ACT and up here they were asking for $87.00 !!!!

I looked into online vet stores etc and they didn't stock items that required refrigeration. I was most unimpressed!!

It's very hard to get the ashes isn't it? I have not been back to the vets since. I called them to make an appointment for one of my other dogs and burst into tears just talking to them. BUT your girl is home now, where she belongs and that must be a great relief.

I have my Sammy's ashed in a beautiful box. We move around alot so she will stay with me where ever we go.

Edited by baifra

You are right about the prices they charge I think it was about $75 for the last lot of 10 of the small bottles and I have 9.5 left and 112 needles and almost 100 syringes (people ones as the vet ones where dear and they couldn't get them at one stage so we went to the chemist)

I did ask the vet but they just said to bring it in but I'd rather give it away to some one who can use it as they might sell it again. :)

The ashes are easy just put it on the visa with the rest of her last vet bill :) , Missus said she was expensive to the end but we love her as she was like our child as we don't have children, her nick name was the $10.000.00 dog.

We are thinking of putting her with the missus fathers ashes as they were good friends when she was young :laugh: no one would know but us.

Edited by karmar

Oh wow you do have a lot of insulin left!!! I bought mine an ampule at a time!!

I hope you find someone to take it. It would be such a shame to lose the lot.

There is a darling of a dog in victoria, A white shepherd by the name of Spice who is diabetic. Her story is a very very sad case of disgusting neglect by her previous 'owners'.

She is in wonderful hands now with her new Mum. I'm pretty sure she is on Caninsulin. If you could contact Australia post and maybe see what they say about sending cold goods interstate.

Spice was adopted by a lovely lady on this forum. Her username is Kadbury. Send her a PM and see what she thinks.

Definently a worthwhile dog and owner who deserves a little help.

I think where ever you put your old girls ashes she will be happy!! Especially a bit of company (couldn't hurt) :)

Yes I will see at the Post Office tomorrow if it can be sent.

I read about Spice before I registered and then I tried to search but there where to many hits to read through.

I will send her a PM tomorrow if it is possible to post it. Maybe over night packed with dry ice?

We used to get 1 x 25ml ampule at a time also but we found that by the time we got to about 1/2 or 3/4 of the way down it wasn't working as good so the vet thought that the air drawn in while you take some out was affecting it some how so we started to buy it in a box of 10 smaller 2.5ml ampule as it would stay good, fresh or something like that, and it seemed to work better to the end.

Also found the chemist cheaper for needles and syringes than the vets thats why we bought them by the box.

cheers

Edited by karmar

Hi all,

The insulin etc are going to a very nice lady Kathleen for her very deserving, lovely girl Spice, with the great help of DigDaz (Daren) for the transport, :cheer:

Just great what people can do for a good cause :rofl: and Spice is a very lucky girl with Kath and Jan in her corner and some good vets :rolleyes: and hope she keeps getting stronger and healthier.

Cheers

Mark

Hi all,

The insulin etc are going to a very nice lady Kathleen for her very deserving, lovely girl Spice, with the great help of DigDaz (Daren) for the transport, ;)

Just great what people can do for a good cause :p and Spice is a very lucky girl with Kath and Jan in her corner and some good vets ;) and hope she keeps getting stronger and healthier.

Cheers

Mark

Insulin arrived safely and Bigdaz did not get busted as a drug runner. :)

Many many thanks to karmer for his wonderful donation to Spice.

BigDaz you are a champion. :)

:clap::cooldance: The kindness has me overwhelmed........it just proves that people who are DOL members have a special LOV and support for our Furkids.

The Offer of the insulin and the quick offers of help to arrange the pick up and delivery have really warmed my heart.

Darren your a Ledgend ( so glad you didn't get busted :rofl: )

Jan you as usual jumped to my assistance....

Mark and Karen i will keep you posted on OUR girls progress .......she is sending BIG slurpie kisses your way........Love Kathleen and Spice.