Suitable Bones For Chihuahuas Besides Chicken Necks?

AML

I gave my Chi X girl chicken necks for the first time the other night and she absolutely loved them. I would really like to give her a variety of suitable bones, but don't have a clue what else to get because i'm a first time Chi owner.

Here is a pic of her to give you an idea of her size, she's bigger than normal, i'm guessing she has some JRT in her?

SG108442.jpg

Thanks in advance. :laugh:

i give my chihuahuas all types of bones

chicken necks, chicken wings, turkey necks when we can get them, lamb flaps, all sorts of lamb and beef offcuts, lamb necks etc

i give them marrow bones, cartliage, anything

takes a while for the marrow bones but they have fun

ETA - lamb is quite fattening so not too much unless you think she is underweight

Edited by kosti

Thanks for the really quick reply bosskrotties. :laugh: The lamb flaps sound good, i'll get some tomorrow. :laugh: I'm assuming these can only be purchased at a butchers and not in supermarkets?

Edited by AML

Thanks for the really quick reply bosskrotties. :laugh: The lamb flaps sound good, i'll get some tomorrow. :laugh: I'm assuming these can only be purchased at a butchers and not in supermarkets?

i have brought them at both but its cheaper from the butchers

i give my chihuahuas all types of bones

chicken necks, chicken wings, turkey necks when we can get them, lamb flaps, all sorts of lamb and beef offcuts, lamb necks etc

i give them marrow bones, cartliage, anything

takes a while for the marrow bones but they have fun

ETA - lamb is quite fattening so not too much unless you think she is underweight

Thanks heaps for that kosti. :laugh: I'm writing them all done on a pad as i read this. Thanks to for the heads up on lamb being fattening i will definitely keep that in mind. She's 5.6kg at the moment which seems to suit her, the vet said her maximum weight would be 6kg nothing above that.

I've had dogs as a child, but for the past 17 years i've been a cat owner so this is a new learning curve for me. Thanks for the replies. :laugh:

i have brought them at both but its cheaper from the butchers

I have a cheap Chinese butcher not far away from me so i'll see what they have tomorrow. :laugh:

I have another question. Is there anything that should be avoided?

Edited by AML

just avoid cooked bones AML, as you would know, and keep an eye on her to see if she is a choking hazzard.

if you think any bones have gotten too small, sharp or splinter in anyway, take them away because they can get lodged in that little throat or in her stomach.

she does look jrt x more than chi x although there could be some chi in there but it doesnt matter anyway

my fellas also like chicken giblets which i can get at the supermarket. i get lots of bones from there as they have a petfood/off cuts section and i just get whatever random bones i feel like. the butcher is awesome too, usually cheaper and you can usually request certain parts.