Toilet Training Problems

AML

My rescue dog (Angee) has been doing really well indoors doing her job on training pads, we also take her outside for her jobbies. We have had her since the end of July and except for the occasional mishap we thought we had it all under control.

However, over the last week we'd take her outside for a wee wee and she does nothing, get her back upstairs and 5 minutes later she's doing it on the carpet. She can also spend an hour at a park and do nothing, it's like she's holding it until she gets home. She is also now starting to do her number 2 inside too. :laugh:

We have been ignoring her when this happens, we have also given her a sharp NO and placed her on the training pad straight away but these things don't seem to be working at the moment. The OH and myself are at a loss as to why this has just recently started. With the things we've tried we don't know how to rectify this problem with her. If anyone has suggestions as to what to try now i'm all ears, plus my carpet and sanity will be forever grateful. :laugh:

*edit* I forgot to mention with the cleaning up, we soak up all the mess, then i hit it with bi carb and water, re-soak it all up and then use white vinegar and water and do a final soak up, so i don't think the smell is the problem.

Edited by AML

My rescue dog (Angee) has been doing really well indoors doing her job on training pads, we also take her outside for her jobbies. We have had her since the end of July and except for the occasional mishap we thought we had it all under control.

However, over the last week we'd take her outside for a wee wee and she does nothing, get her back upstairs and 5 minutes later she's doing it on the carpet. She can also spend an hour at a park and do nothing, it's like she's holding it until she gets home. She is also now starting to do her number 2 inside too. :D

We have been ignoring her when this happens, we have also given her a sharp NO and placed her on the training pad straight away but these things don't seem to be working at the moment. The OH and myself are at a loss as to why this has just recently started. With the things we've tried we don't know how to rectify this problem with her. If anyone has suggestions as to what to try now i'm all ears, plus my carpet and sanity will be forever grateful. :laugh:

*edit* I forgot to mention with the cleaning up, we soak up all the mess, then i hit it with bi carb and water, re-soak it all up and then use white vinegar and water and do a final soak up, so i don't think the smell is the problem.

I'm sorry but you're going to have to keep treating her like she knows nothing - just like a puppy. You'll have to wait until she does a wee or poo when she's outside and really praise her up or treat her or play with her whatever she finds most rewarding. Really watch out for the signs, usually nose to ground and circling. You can say she's house trained when she's not had an accident for 4 weeks! Has she had a full health check by a vet? Sometimes illness can also set them back in their training. Regarding not doing anything at the park, my 8mth old female will never go outside of the backyard unless she has been away from home for the day or something. It happens with some bitches apparently that they will not go on anywhere but their own territory - can be very frustrating at times.

Edited by Jigsaw

Thanks for the advice Jigsaw. We do give her heaps of praise or treats when she's gone outside.

She's had a full vet check and is fine. We normally do try to notice the circling and sniffing but sometimes we only have to turn our backs on her for 10 secs and the job has been done. We will try to be more vigilant with watching her. That's really interesting to know about some females not going outside of their own territory (i didn't know this) and probably explains why she won't go elsewhere. I'm also wondering, we have had cats for the past 17 years ( don't have any now), could a cat smell in the carpet be enticing her to go indoors?

My rescue dog (Angee) has been doing really well indoors doing her job on training pads, we also take her outside for her jobbies.

Do you want the dog to go inside or outside? I think you would have much more success if you removed the training pads altogether, you can't expect the dog to understand that she's only supposed to go outside when you still allow her to soil on training pads. Personally I think that training a puppy on training pads or newspaper is more of a hindrance than a help and simply confuse the dog. If you want the dog to toilet outside then start taking her outside from the very beginning.