Puppy Vaccinations

I agree with you that puppies get no benefit from a 6week vacc, but assuming they get a 6week shot, then they'll also get a 10, and then a 14week, which according to Jean, is adequate (one shot before 12wks and one shot after, 4 weeks apart), but just renders the 6wk shot pointless. So to say that so many puppies get parvo BECAUSE of the 6week shot, IMO, is not correct. The reason that puppies get parvo is because they are allowed to come into contact with the virus before they have adequate immunity.

Thats good, as that is not what I said !

Pups that have had a shot at 6 weeks is the same as a pup that has had NO shot at all........when the 6 week old goes for its 12 week one, that is in fact its FIRST one (as the 6 wk one did nothing), yet is out in public etc thinking it is immune, and it is not.......This is why so many 6 week vaccinated pups get parvo.........I hope that is clearer for you :D

Sorry, but this still doesn't really make sense to me. I don't get why the issue is that it would only be the FIRST shot?

Edited by stormie

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but this still doesn't really make sense to me. The only reason we give 2-3 shots for puppies is to make sure they get atleast one that isn't over-ridden by mums antibodies. A pup could get one vaccine at 16weeks of age and be covered (but obviously the pup would need to be kept inside up till this age because from about 10wks on it has no immunity against these diseases at all as mums antibodies have worn off).

edited to make more sense

A pup can get one at 8-10 weeks & be covered........titer it & see....T cells are T cells, immunity is immuntiy, you cant get any more immune than immune LOL

Sorry, but this still doesn't really make sense to me. The only reason we give 2-3 shots for puppies is to make sure they get atleast one that isn't over-ridden by mums antibodies. A pup could get one vaccine at 16weeks of age and be covered (but obviously the pup would need to be kept inside up till this age because from about 10wks on it has no immunity against these diseases at all as mums antibodies have worn off).

edited to make more sense

A pup can get one at 8-10 weeks & be covered........titer it & see....T cells are T cells, immunity is immuntiy, you cant get any more immune than immune LOL

I'm agreeing with you! That's what I'm trying to say, thats why I don't get what you mean about pups that get a 6wk shot get parvo more than those that don't. If they get one at 12wks and it works, they are covered. If it didn't work, they aren't and can get parvo. I don't see how this has anything to do with whether they had a 6wk shot or not.

The 6 week shot is worse than useless as it delays the effectiveness of the next shot while not providing any immunity itself.

It also gives a false sense of security in people who believe that the pup has some immunity. Plenty of people take out pups before their second shots.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the good info I breed Siberian Huskies for the past five years I have been advised to vaccinate 6, 10 and 14 weeks and yearly booster but after reading past topics I am thinking twice. I have six huskies I live on the land 30kms from town and my dogs never come in contact with other dogs saying that occasionally I do have a fox sneaking around the place. I feel the yearly vaccination is just causing them greater health problems for no reason and have decided to do them every three years I recently seen a write up in an issue of the DOGS NSW gazette about a tri-vaccination (3 year vaccine) I will be asking my vet about this week. My only question is how you get away with vaccinating a pup at 8 to 10 weeks when it is better for them (huskies) to leave for new families at 8 or 9 weeks and is it true that if you do vaccinate at 8weeks

Edited by WOLFY