Desexing A Bitch

I'm booking Trooper in to get desexed next Saturday but am not sure what pre- and post-op care she'll need. I've only ever had male dogs so I don't know what she'll require. Obviously she'll need to stay reasonably quiet & rested, not running around like a mad man but apart from that, what will she need? Will I need to take a few days off work to make sure she doesn't destroy herself (I have a feeling she's going to be less than impressed :laugh: )?

What do you guys do after having one of your girls desexed?

I've had many females desexed through the pug rescue I do. They are pretty spaced out the night you bring them home but the next day you and they have no idea of the major surgery they have had.

I treat them just the same as the males I have had desexed. Keep them in a warm quiet place when they come home. Offer them a little bit of cooked chicken breast at about 7pm or 8pm. Try to keep them relatively quiet till their stitches come out.

We had Sierra desexed 4 weeks ago, she came home groggy, slept until next day and then it was like nothing happened. Tried (and failed) to keep her quiet and somewhat confined but she still ran around like a loon and ended up stretching the internal stitches which resulted in a nice swelling that then stretched the external stitches. The vet was worried she had herniated something but checked her out and it was just swelling.

We had to lock her in the laundry whilst we were at work for 3 days then the swelling started to disapate.

She is now completely fine (still a loon!)

The stitches were taken out after 10 days.

My advice would be to confine her from the other dogs so she has to be quiet for at least the first 4-5 days.

Good luck :rofl:

Our pup Izzy was desexed yesterday. She was very sleepy in the evening and not interested in food but is very chirpy today. I am trying to keep her quiet today but she looks positively bored, I can't believe how well she's moving around! Her wound has subcutaneous sutures so nothing to be removed, just a wound check in 7 - 10 days.

• 1 month later...

My girl Miss lizzy came home or groggy and feeling sorry for herself and wouldn't move. As soon as my mum came over to visit her (her nanna) she got up wagging her tail and was fine!

By the next day she was even better. Almost back to her normal self. Just made sure she didn't jump up and i tried not to pick her up. I had her done on a friday and she was 100% by the Monday. (although i still locked her in the laundry while i was at work for two days)

Is the wound for a girl much bigger than the stiches for a boy - our boy had a tiny little cut - maybe 1.5cm when he was de-sexed at about 6 months. We'll get our girl done when she's old enough. I'm guessing its quite a different op for the girls and a bigger incision needs to be made ??? :)

Let me tell you, being desexed IS A bitch - OUCH!!! Ooops, I misread the title of this thread.... :):happydance::cheer:

My girl goes in on Wednesday so this is answering many of my questions too. Our vet didn't tell us about the stitching up afterward so I'll have some further questions to ask. The last bitch we had desexed almost 15 years ago came home looking like a beaten up football - about a six inch seam along her tummy with cotton sticking out the length of it. I hope the procedures have changed since then because she looked scary. She was up and about the very next day... pups recover so quick.

Cheers.

Our spey incisions are usually only a few cm long, depending on the size of the dog (and how good the vet is :) ). Your vet should provide you with detailed post op care instructions when you pick her up. Stitches usually are removed 7-10 days after and its recommended they stay quiet and the wound kept dry until then.