Canon Eos 450d

~*Shell*~

Hi guys,

This is the camera I'm looking at getting (Canon EOS 450d) but I'm not sure what to get with it as I'm only just starting out! I can get it with the 18-55mmIS and 75-300 lenses or with 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS Lenses or with the 17-85mm USM IS Lens only.

What would be the best option for me? At the moment, I don't even know what all the lenses are (anyone who can explain them to me would be my friend for life!) and I want this camera so i can play around with the settings and eventually take a couple of classes in photography.

Also, if anyone has any opinions about this camera, or one that would be good for me, please let me know! I'm totally open to whatever anyone says since as i said, I'm new to it all!

I have taken agility shots of other peoples dogs as well but unfortunately they are on my external HD so I'd have to hunt for them. Not bad considering I am very novice when it comes to cameras :rofl: .

That's the exact kind of photos i want to take - a lot of running action shots and playing, those kind of things! I wish i knew more about lenses! It's going to be so hard to choose between them.

What are the different kinds of shots that the 18-55mmIS, 75-300 and 55-250mm IS take? I know that they're all for something in particular, but i'm not sure what!

Thanks for the info btw - i really appreciate it!

Thanks so much for the help ness - now i just have to shop around and see how much $$ i'm looking at! I want to be very careful about who i buy from. A friend has just had her SLR's card slot break and she can't get it fixed without paying a lot of money because she bought it online from a company that sells imported stock and her waranty doesn't apply here!

Yeah be careful who you buy from Shell, one good thing is that the price is starting

to drop on the 450D as the 1000D has been released & a new 50D will be out soon.

With the lens choice, the larger the number the longer the zoom & the lower f stop

the more light your lens will let in (so faster in low light conditions).

With the shutter speeds & ISO range of this camera you will be able to freeze

the action in shots quite well, I'm sure you will love it.

I bought mine from a local shop against buying on-line, for warranty reasons.

I think you'll be really happy with the 450D Shell...I've had the 350D for about 18mths and have loved using it to learn on...I've got the 18-55IS and 55-250IS and happy with both..I can't recommend the 55-250IS highly enough!

To see what results you'll get with this lens, check out this link...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=459569

I wasn't even considering it til I saw some of the pics here, then I just had to have it, and I'm really happy with my purchase!

Here's a shot taken as soon as I got it out the box on a dull day..

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Kerry

post-21960-1219959499_thumb.jpg

Guest Tess32

The numbers refer to what the lens can 'view', does that make sense? A big number up to 200, means you can zoom in a reasonable amount. So if a lens is 50-200, that means if you aren't zoomed out, you have a lens that goes from 50 (which is similar to what your eyes see, like a lens not zoomed in our out), all the way up to 200 which means you can take reasonably far away shots.

You can also get lenses that don't zoom (called primes) that if are for eg 200mm, that's it, that's the only view you get, like being automatically zoomed out.

So if you wanted landscape, or to get lots in your field of vision, you'd want a small number, and if you were at a park and your dog was far away, you'd want a big number.

For beginners, easier to get a lens that covers a lot (70-300) because then you can figure out what you usually take.

You also have to keep in mind the other number that sounds like f4.5. This is the minimum aperture (to do with letting light in) your lens will have. WHen you zoom out to 200mm, you need more light - so if you're inside and you want to zoom out 200mm, you'd need a low number (like f2.8) in order for the photo not to be all shaky and dark.

The lower the aperture number, the more you pay. Some lenses won't have a constant aperture...which means if the lens says f4.5/5.6, when you're zoomed out all the way, you will only be able to get the f5.6, and will have less light to take the shot.

That all make sense?

Thanks everyone! i think i'll start by getting the 70-300 and the 18-55 and if i use it enough and want to do more i'll get another lens later!

That explanation was really good Tess - i think i understand but i'm sure that i'll have to play around with the lenses to fully understand it all. I'm going to start having a look around this weekend for the best place to buy (i would like to buy from a shop, but also get it for the cheapest price possible so I think it'll be a few weeks before i actually buy one!

Great explanation, Tess!

I think you're going to love the 450! It's a sweet camera :)

The 18-55IS is a really nice lens ... very versatile and produces lovely images. I think it's a good choice to have in your bag.

The 55-200IS is a bit better than the 75-300 but both are going to be able to produce fine results, so it's really a matter of if you need the longer reach of the 300. The 200 will likely focus a tad faster, but you do lose 100mm in reach - which can be frustrating! I like the slightly wider end of the 55-200 zoom as I find that 50 is actually a very useful length a lot of times and longer than that makes me back up more than I want to. Enough rambling - either lens will be great and should give you a good idea of what you really like to shoot so then you can choose to buy more glass (or not!)

Cameras Direct in Brisbane is meant to be very good

Ted's also gets high marks from some

Quality Cameras...

Discount Digital Photographics is another that many of my friends use regularly

You can also buy from overseas and there are often much better prices available. B&H, Sigma4Less, Adorama are all very good to deal with as Australians.

Camera bodies have "local" warranties and lenses have international warranties, so you might want to buy the body here but buy the lenses from somewhere else. You can also buy add-on warranties for your gear to extend the manufacturer warranty. I just bought a lens from Sigma4Less and chose the import lens (no warranty at all in this particular case) and added their Mack warranty - I did it this way because I got a longer warranty period and the total cost was cheaper than the non-import lens.

The shipping back to the US should I ever need to use the warranty for my camera bodies (all bought from US) or lenses doesn't phase me at all, but might be a consideration for others.

HTH

Looking forward to seeing the photos :)