Obedience Classes - Canberra Northside

Chia

We just completed puppy preschool 2 weeks ago, and I'd like to move Finn on to proper obedience classes. He's 4 months old now.

Ideally, I would like to join a dog club but I'm not sure how possible that is going to be. The one in Symonston looks good (and I took another dog there a few years ago), but is a bit far away to manage, especially with the cost of petrol at the moment. I had a look at the Belconnen (Mitchell) Dog Club website, but it says that dogs have to be 6 months old to join obedience classes. They offer puppy classes, but from the description it's pretty much all stuff that we covered at puppy preschool or that I already know.

I'm really looking for group classes - I've been doing a bit of training on my own, but having the direction and help of an instructor is invaluable, and I enjoy the group classes as much as pup does. Plus, I think it would keep the costs down?

Does anyone have any recommendations? Google isn't doing much good at all, unfortunately.

My advice would be to join Belconnen at the beginning of next year.

CDC (Symonston) would allow you to to obedience with a 5 month old starting next month.. they only have one more session this year starting then. Given that it's only once a week, that could be an option even though it's further.

Then perhaps you could look at Belconnen after that. Some of the private trainers do group classes. I know Dogtech do but I'm not sure where they conduct them.

RSPCA also have ongoing classes but the dog clubs will be the cheapest option by far.

Edited by poodlefan

I'd definitely recommend Belconnen or CDC, both are v. good clubs. RSPCA is expensive, if the cost of petrol is an issue you'd not want to be even considering the RSPCA fees. I'd only suggest the private trainer route if you had partiuclar issues you needed one-on-one help with, the clubs are the cheapest and best for normal stuff.

I had real trouble booking my dog into obediance into Belconnon, any information I tried to get never answered my questions so I went with CDC and they are wonderful. Mistral has been having a great time there, everyone is very friendly abd helpful, we are loving it.

But if fuel is an issue go with Belconnen.

Progress!

We're booked into a Dogtech group "adolsecent" class starting on Sunday, which will run for 5 weeks, and I am intending to go and talk to the Belconnen people in person so I can suss out the club sometime soon. If it looks good, I'll join at the beginning of next year. I would like to go to Symonston, but it's a 40 minute drive each way and we're trying to cut costs where we can (makes me wish Action offered decent services, but that's more than a little O/T...)

Progress!

We're booked into a Dogtech group "adolsecent" class starting on Sunday, which will run for 5 weeks, and I am intending to go and talk to the Belconnen people in person so I can suss out the club sometime soon. If it looks good, I'll join at the beginning of next year. I would like to go to Symonston, but it's a 40 minute drive each way and we're trying to cut costs where we can (makes me wish Action offered decent services, but that's more than a little O/T...)

Did you get Sean as your instructor? He's very good (and an instructor at CDC also)

Wolfsong I'm glad your experience at CDC has been a good one - that's my club too. :)

Hi guys,

I'm also looking at booking my puppy into puppy classes-

any info on what type of dogs they allow (including VERY minature pups :kissbetter: )

You would have to call around and ask, but there is a tiny little dog in my puppy class, he is about the size of Mistrals head, a toy poodle cross and he is iin there with german shepards and golden retrivers, my big boy (who is slowly shrinking compard to some of those other puppies :rofl: ) I think most places go by age not size. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

EDT after some advice from Poodlefan :hug:

Edited by Wolfsong

Slight hijack Wolfsong.. there's not such thing as a "teacup poodle". They are just small toy poodles.

That dosnt surprise me much, thanks poodlefan :kissbetter:.

I was only repeating what I was told, she actually turned around and told me it was a pedigree teacup schnoodle :rofl:

Slight hijack Wolfsong.. there's not such thing as a "teacup poodle". They are just small toy poodles.

That dosnt surprise me much, thanks poodlefan :hug:.

I was only repeating what I was told, she actually turned around and told me it was a pedigree teacup schnoodle :kissbetter:

And this at CDC.. oh let me at her! :rofl:

I was only repeating what I was told, she actually turned around and told me it was a pedigree teacup schnoodle :hug:

And this at CDC.. oh let me at her! :kissbetter:

I nearly died when she said it, honnestly :rofl:

I was only repeating what I was told, she actually turned around and told me it was a pedigree teacup schnoodle :hug:

I think I'd have laughed. But I'm sure that's what the website/petshop/puppy seller at Hall Markets told her. And like many buyers, why would she disbelieve it.

It's probably going to have a challenging coat to groom. But hey, at least she's brought it to training.

Edited by poodlefan

That dosnt surprise me much, thanks poodlefan :cry:.

I think I'd have laughed. But I'm sure that's what the website/petshop/puppy seller at Hall Markets told her. And like many buyers, why would she disbelieve it.

Sad huh. :hug: