Our New Addtion Is Making A Funny Noise

Chipper

Hi All

On Saturday we picked Lizzy up from her Foster carere. She has settled in well but a few times she has made this awful noise from her throat.

A dog she was fostered with had KC and was being treated for it and at first i thought it might be that but i wouldn't describe the noise as a cough but more like...okay this is gross sorry...but it's like she is trying to draw back phlegm :( or trying to bring up something.

She hasn't brought anything up and i have really only heard it 3 or 4 times since she's been here(Saturday).

She's eating okay and has lots of energy.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

Thanks. :(

What breed or crossbreed is she?

I'm not sure I quite followed the bit about the KC. Are you saying that she's just come to you from a home where a dog has KC at the moment?

Dogs with KC can do a lot of gagging and retching.. it's the mucus. :(

Edited by poodlefan

I'm not sure I quite followed the bit about the KC. Are you saying that she's just come to you from a home where a dog has KC at the moment?

According to the helpful Dolers :) she is most likely Papillon x shitzu or terrier :( Rescuers vet and pound had her down as Skye Terrier.

She was with a rescuer/foster carer along with a few other dogs. One of them had kennel cough.

She's not bringing any mucus up just making the noise.

ETA : We want to walk her but not sure it's safe to do if it is KC. I've never seen or heard a dog with it so not sure what it should sound like??

Edited by GSD Mum

According to the helpful Dolers :) she is most likely Papillon x shitzu or terrier :( Rescuers vet and pound had her down as Skye Terrier.

She was with a rescuer/foster carer along with a few other dogs. One of them had kennel cough.

She's not bringing any mucus up just making the noise.

Oh, now I remember this girl.

My new vow to be more positive in my posting style will limit what I will say of the ethics of rehoming a dog from a home where KC is active.

Is she vaccinated against KC? I'd be keeping a close eye on it. If she sounds like a heavy smoker in the morning (a real "gak" throat clearing sort of sound), I'd suggest a vet visit. I'd be sending a copy of the bill to the rescue.

In the meantime, I'd not expose her to new dogs in any public places or other peoples homes for the next 14 days. There are some nasty cough bugs around at the moment and they are highly infectious.

Edited by poodlefan

Vaccinating against KC does not prevent it unfortunately. It only covers a few strains and like the human cold, KC has many, many forms. My guess is that she does have KC. Keep an eye on her, don't take her out in public and get some cough medicine for her (there is one type that can be used for KC - I can't remember what its called).

ETA: I just found some info that says children's Robitussen can be given. I would ring the vet and ask if they recommend this and what dosage.

Edited by Kirty

My new vow to be more positive in my posting style will limit what I will say of the ethics of rehoming a dog from a home where KC is active.

Is she vaccinated against KC? I'd be keeping a close eye on it. If she sounds like a heavy smoker in the morning (a real "gak" throat clearing sort of sound), I'd suggest a vet visit. I'd be sending a copy of the bill to the rescue.

In the meantime, I'd not expose her to new dogs in any public places or other peoples homes for the next 14 days. There are some nasty cough bugs around at the moment and they are highly infectious.

Hehehe ...just read that thread Poodlefan!!

Okay, no she wasn't vaccinated against KC - only C3. She sounds fine in the morning. Other than this noise that she has made occassionally everything else is good.

I won't introduce her to any other dogs but if this is what it is DUke (my GSD) will probabably get too, yeh??

Vaccinating against KC does not prevent it unfortunately. It only covers a few strains and like the human cold, KC has many, many forms. My guess is that she does have KC. Keep an eye on her, don't take her out in public and get some cough medicine for her (there is one type that can be used for KC - I can't remember what its called).

ETA: I just found some info that says children's Robitussen can be given. I would ring the vet and ask if they recommend this and what dosage.

Thanks Kirty. I just found a lot of infor that says I can give Benadryl Original and that i is safe for dogs.

Hehehe ...just read that thread Poodlefan!!

Okay, no she wasn't vaccinated against KC - only C3. She sounds fine in the morning. Other than this noise that she has made occassionally everything else is good.

I won't introduce her to any other dogs but if this is what it is DUke (my GSD) will probabably get too, yeh??

Possibly. I have one dog in my house pick up a nasty cough bug (not KC) and the other two were unaffected. It can be hard to predict.

Does sound like it would be part of the KC virus.

Does it sound like she is full of snot/ mucus? Sort of like she has a headcold.

Dogs can have different parts of KC without having the actual cough. It is a group of a few virus's that together form to make up what is called Kennel Cough. A dog might only catch one of those virus's or all of them so their symptoms and how sick they get vary.

Had a rescue from the pound here for a few hours that had no signs of KC but then came down with it at his foster carers. My girl puggy ended up obviously catching part of the virus from him in the time she was exposed. And displayed the signs of what was like a massive head cold approx a week later after her exposure to him. Think I only heard her cough once or twice.

Keep an eye on here and if she is still happy then the virus should pass in time. If she is not happy take her to the vets.

The sound that Poodle fan is talking about with the trachea collapsing can be described as a goose honking sound. Short nose breeds are more prone to it. My pugs will do it every now and again and I shove my finger in their mouths to make them breath through them, rather then their noses, which usually stops them honking.

The sound that Poodle fan is talking about with the trachea collapsing can be described as a goose honking sound. Short nose breeds are more prone to it. My pugs will do it every now and again and I shove my finger in their mouths to make them breath through them, rather then their noses, which usually stops them honking.

It was Loraine, not me but I can do a good impression elongated soft palate sounds. :( I found opening the mouth or stroking the throat tends to ease it.

Does sound like it would be part of the KC virus.

Does it sound like she is full of snot/ mucus? Sort of like she has a headcold.

Thanks Puggy Puggy. no she doesn't sound like she is 'full of snot'. And yep, she's pretty happy at the moment.

I just did a search on reverse sneezing and this sounds like what it might be. (Hope so). She gets over it in a few seconds.

Anyhow, I'll just keep an eye on her and se how she goes.

It was Loraine, not me but I can do a good impression elongated soft palate sounds. :( I found opening the mouth or stroking the throat tends to ease it.

:(:)

I always try to describe the sound the best I can to people that have adopted the pugs I have fostered or to new puggy owners I run into because if you haven't heard it before it can be a shock. And usually they still get freaked out when the first hear it. Maybe I should enlist your help with an impression. ie phone this lady and she will do an impression of the goose honking so that you can know what it sounds like.

:):)

I always try to describe the sound the best I can to people that have adopted the pugs I have fostered or to new puggy owners I run into because if you haven't heard it before it can be a shock. And usually they still get freaked out when the first hear it. Maybe I should enlist your help with an impression. ie phone this lady and she will do an impression of the goose honking so that you can know what it sounds like.

Give me her number and I'll be the first to test it out :(

Ah, but in my new caring sharing educative role, I can empower EVERYONE to do ESP impressions.

Ok, put the tip of your tongue just behind your top teeth and let it relax nicely so it's wide and loose.

Now inhale hard through your mouth.. (not so hard that you pass out from lack of oxygen but hard)

Hey presto.. .ESP sounds!!

Could well be the goose honking then and not part of the KC if she doesn't seem to have a head full of snot.

Does she do it when she gets over excited or after having a drink?

The first time she did it was ater she ate, the next time was while chasingher ball for the 100th time and the third time was yesterday when Miss nearly 6 was doing her training with her(she had her on a lead with her collar) and Lizzy ran off down the yard. The collar may have pulled tight across her throat before Miss 6 let her go.

ETA: We will get her a harness I think. I'm guessing these are better for the smaller breeds???