Rip Scruffy Little Dog

DeltaCharlie

I came home today to find a small scruffy brown terrier type dog on my front lawn. It was a cute little thing, really timid though and it turned and barked whenever I got too close. I tried enticing it with water crackers (only food I had in my car) and kept a distance behind it. I followed it down the street where it walked up to almost every door, then followed it along the next street. I had it cornered on a front patio where I sat on the bottom step and threw bits of cracker towards it. I wanted to get a look at the tag hanging from its collar.

It took about 20mins but eventually I got him gingerly eating out of my hand. Couldn't actually touch him but I had worked out by now that the tag hanging was just a "spoilt" one, not one that was any use to me. I was building up to slipping a lead round him when a kid came out and said it was his dog. I felt kinda bad that the dog had gone home and I was still bothering it but I had no idea that was where it lived (especially considering it was first seen 100 houses away in a different street). I explained that he had got out and found his way to my house and the kid apologised and took him inside. I got the impression that he thought it was no big deal that the dog was out and that it probably happened fairly regularly. Especially considering it was barking intermittently on the front porch for 20mins before anyone came out, if I heard my dogs out the front I would rush straight out there.

I left to go out about 2 hrs later and saw a group of people on the side of the road. The kid was crying and I saw that the little dog was dead on the side of the road. He must have got out again and was hit by a car. Poor little thing, if only they had ensured he couldn't get out :love:

RIP little dog :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...