Heartworm - Ivermectin And Shelties

Levi

I was just searching DOL about heartworm and thought I had done my research before getting my Sheltie, but it appears that I misunderstood the collie breed Ivermectin sensitivity. :(

Bindi is 12 months old and has been on monthly ProHeart since puppyhood. I thought the sensitivity was to 'mectin', but it seems that it involves 'ectin' which then includes ProHeart. When Bindi was a puppy I discussed the sensitivity with my vet at the time and she recommended ProHeart as it does not contain Ivermectin. I am really worried now that it appears I have been poisoning my pup all this time even though I carried out extensive research at the time.

My concern is finding a monthly heartworm that does not contain 'ectin'. Interceptor and Sentinel Spectrum are mentioned but they also include treatment for other worms. I am not keen at all to worm her for all worms monthly as she only needs this three monthly.

I really need some advice here. Does anyone know if I have done damage to her by giving her ProHeart? :(

Every time I think I have researched everything and am doing the right thing, I find out something new that blows it all out of the water. :(

Proheart Heartworm Tablets

Professional Product

Monthly prevention of infection with heartworm in dogs. PROHEART tablets prevent heartworm infection, they are not a treatment for existing heartworm disease. Ensure animal is checked by a Veterinarian before commencing tables. Can be used in all breeds of dogs, including collies, stud dogs and breeding bitches. Do not use in puppies under 4 weeks of age.

Active ingredient: Moxidectin

Presentation: Tablets: Small dog (up to 10kg); Medium dog (11-22kg); Large dog (23-45kg); Extra-large dog (46-68kg), 6's.

taken from http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/prodsu...m?group_no=2150

Hi Lillypilly,

I am a little confused by your post, maybe I wasn't clear in my initial post?

I have just discovered that it appears that the sensitivity in the collie breeds is to 'ectin' products, not just 'mectin' products. I thought it was just to 'mectin' ie. Ivermectin and that ProHeart was safe to use as it contains Moxidectin. However, if the sensitivity is to 'ectin' that includes ProHeart and it looks as though I need to find an alternative.

I anyone able to recommend a monthly heartworm that only treats heartworm and does not contain any 'ectin'?

How confusing, it sounds like jibberish!

I am aware of some of the daily heartworm treatments that do not contain 'ectin' but would prefer a monthly treatment if that is at all possible :( .

I have replied to your PM.

I have just sent you some material to read and to discuss with your vet - hope it helps you. Hugs to your sheltie.

Levi you could get her DNAed for the MRD1 gene then if she's clear you wouldn't need to worry about it.

Here:GTG dog disease list

It's very simple they just take a swap from inside the cheeks with what looks like a giant cotton bud.

Moxidectin is not safe for dogs with invermectin sensitivity. Daily tablets are. Don't panic just look for an alternative.

Here's the drug list for you too, it's best to give it to your vet as well.

The 'Not For Collies' Drug List

Be aware of anything with "ectin" on the end.

Abamectin Antiparasitic Agent

Acepromazine Tranqualizers

Butorphanol Tartrate (Torbutrol, Torbugesic) Pain Control

Cyclosporin Immunosuppressive agent

Cyclosporin A Immunosuppressive agent

Deramaxx

dexamethasone, Steroids

Digoxin Heart drug

Domperidon Gastrointestinal Agents

domperidone

doramectin

Doxorubicin Chemo drug

Erythromycin Antibiotic

etoposide

Grepafloxacin Antibiotics

Heartgaurd

Hydrocortisone Steriods

Immodium Loperamide

Ivermectin Antiparasitic Agent

Kaopectate (some formulas)

Loperamide (e.g. Immodium AD) Gastrointestinal Agents

Macrocyclic Lactones Anti-helminthic pharameuticals that are

P-glycoprotein substrates include

the family of compounds

Milbemycin Oxime Antiparasitic Agent

mitoxantrone

morphine

Moxidectin Antiparasitic Agent

Ondansetron

ondansetron

Oxorubicin Anticancer agents

paclitaxel

PeptoBismol (some formulas)

Pro Heart6

Quinidine

Revolution

rifampicin

Rimadyl

Selamectin Antiparasitic Agent

Substrates for P-glycoprotien

Tacrolimus Immunosuppressants

Vinblastine Chemo drug

Vinca Alkaloids Anticancer agents

Vincristine Chemo drug

Advocate and Milbemax

*Drugs that are P-glycoprotein substrates can build up dangerous levels in the brains of genetically sensitive Collies

Edited by Natsu chan

Thank You Natsu Chan. The DNA may be the best thing to do here. Does the fact that she has not had any adverse reactions to the ProHeart mean she is not sensitive, or not neccessarily?

I have a 13.5yo Border Collie who has been on mectins all his life as I was never aware of this sensitivity until I got Bindi. I have also put him on ProHeart but it looks as though that is not the way to go either.

Neither the Border Collie breeder nor Bindi's breeder, nor the breeder of my last Sheltie prior to Bindi have ever mentioned anything about this. It seems that I have been lucky so far :( .

From what I understand not necessarily, my old girl was probably affected as she had some interesting reactions to various things. The vets didn't really believe me as it wasn't a case of her having a reaction every time, but she often had reactions to low dose drugs when she shouldn't have. She was PTS before the test became available. My current girl is a carrier but nothing on that list passes her lips, the old girl gave me too many frights.

Breeders should be mentioning it but really given that a lot of vets still don't seem aware of it it's not surprising that some breeders in less affected breeds don't mention it.