Biting Her Lead

Lisamot

Hi all - I have a 9 week old G.R puppy, and I am trying to let her practice having a lead on her collar around the house, only prob is she sits down and wants to chew it. Any suggestions on how to minimise this behaviour. This afternoon I gave her a toy to play with at the same time to try to take her mouth and mind off the lead. Am I on the right track?

Cheers Lisa

What I found worked was taking her in the backyard where it was unfamiliar to her, that way all Lucy wanted to do was explore and she totally forgot about the lead. Probably a bit early to get your dog out as it needs its vaccinations, but I would try taking her in an unfamiliar place. There have been posts about this topic in the past so you could always search for them. Just know that this is a pup thing and once you actually start walking her, it will go away cos all she will want to do is explore! Make sure you associate the lead as a good thing and praise and give treats! :)

chain leads are heavy, are not comfortable, cannot provide control and if you one day correct risk hitting the dog in the face with it.

Seen it happen.

Train your pup and leave those horrible chain leads. I dont know why people sell them.

In addition to what Nekhbet has said, I have seen dogs catch their teeth in the links of chain leads.

ETA : Oh .... and deepheat or denkorub works on the lead too. Remember that whatever you use, you will need to re-load frequently so that each time your dog tries to grab the lead he will be convinced it is not a good idea. Test whatever you use first - some dogs like hot tasting food. I haven't met a dog yet though, that likes DeepHeat. You'll need to wipe it off your hands after application though.

Edited by Erny