Sorry... I Know It's Been Done

Hi guys!

I am picking up my new rescue girl tomorrow, a 1 - 2yo Mastiff cross. She is apparently not good with food and eating, and is currently on a raw/dry diet.

Having only owned cattle dogs, I understand the diet requirements for a larger/giant breed are much different.

What would be the best diet for me to try, and the best brand kibble to cater for larger breeds? I have looked at Royal Canin and Eagle Pack, and I know the super premiums will all have good results... but some recommendations on actual best results for big dogs, and fussy eaters would be really helpful please?

I'm really excited, can't wait... I know this topic has been done to death, but I just want the best for my new girl and not being very experienced with larger breeds just looking for some advice to ensure she stays healthy and her joints and bones stay as healthy as possible.

Thank you! :coffee:

Edited by Kelly_Louise

personally i feel royal canin, and chicken carcasses..... with some pureed pumkin to take care of the appeitie..... treat her every so often with some home made dog bickies my GSD is only 5 mths too) and then tlc .

never used eagle pack before though.... sorry.

Hills science diet isnt too bad though. the taste is good for fussy eaters.

i wont touch advance though..... makes koda's tummy VERY upset.

however each dog is different, and some have better results than others on different foods.

and good on you ffor rescuing. want lots of piccies :laugh:

Thank you for the advice! I actually went out at Lunch and after much debate decided to try Eukanuba. I did want to try Royal Canin but they didn't have the one I needed in stock. There are so many to choose from. I think I will supplement with some raw meat and vegies. Hopefully will tempt her to eat and gain some weight.

I've always been a fan of Eagle Pack, and if Euky fails I think I will try that next. I find it is also good for fussy eaters.

Ok, get ready for an AWWWWW moment... here is my soon to be fur kid - Sasha.

post-8152-1223007095_thumb.jpg

I find RC to be good but the protein is about the 30% mark so will bulk up a dog. You could still go the large breed RC and some chicken carcasses

Mine are all getting fat at the moment on a pure RC diet (well and they're slowing down because they think the warmer weather means whack on a pair of sunglasses and stretch on the banana lounge the lazy sods!) so its being supplemented with low cal stuff.

Seems RC is very popular. Sasha has had trouble keeping/gaining weight, but I'd still like to keep her lean - last thing I need is another dog with joint problems. It's nice to hear what others do though, at least it keeps me headed in the right direction with having a big dog. :laugh:

I have used Purina Pro Plan Large Breed before with mastiff breeds and it was fantastic and if a little bit of extra weight is needed it might be worth trying a couple of months on the puppy formula.

That being said I have also had dogs that have not done so well on pro plan yet have thrived on Eukanuba or Advance.

At the end of the day all dogs are different, I think it all come down to trial and error, try a few different things and eventually you will find what works best for your dog.

Cheers,

Talbriah

I recommend Royal Canin as well :cooldance: I have used Eukanuba both High Performance and Veterinary Diet. I changed over to Royal Canin GSD formula and I have not looked back. My GSD with allergies (almost a year old) has really gone well on it and his coat and skin have never looked better :( . My older GSD (4 years - later this month) is going great as well and has the softest, fullest coat.

Good luck with your new family member - food is a tricky issue you try all different varieties until you find the one that best suits your dog.

All the best.

Bruodin :panting:

Thanks for all the advice. So far, she's doing well on the Eukanuba, and putting on a little weight. She doesn't always eat it up though, so perhaps I will try a different brand when it's finished to see what she likes best.

Edited by Kelly_Louise