Tns Testing

I'm trying to figure out where or how I can get my border collies tested for TNS. From what I see on the forms that I receive from where I got my dogs CL and CEA tested there is no option for TNS testing. Can someone point me in the right direction for where/how to test my dogs for TNS and how much it would cost?

Alan Wilton from the UNSW is the only one who can do the TNS testing in Australia. He will not release the gene ID or the test until it was patented after the CL debarcle.

The Health Clinic days at Durack run by the CCCQ Health Sub committee are regularly run and notification made and advertised in the journal.

Suzie Chandler is the contact and it is the cheapest way to get the test done.

our local Vet organised it all,

also you can ask the BCCQ they should also be able to help you and point you in the right direction.

I got all the information for off the net, including the forms for the actual test, and they did the blood collections and packaged it up and sent it off,

the results were then sent back via email and normal mail, to me from the Lab doing the testing not our local Vet.

I think it only cost me a consultation Fee plus the cost of the actual test at the Lab, but it was cheaper than having to drive to Sydney when there was a collection day organised,

it would have been cheaper test cost wise to wait for a bulk collection day, but we dont have collection days that often.

and I might not have been able to get to Sydney when it was on.

when you take your dogs in you must also take in the rego papers/certificates/Microchips etc, for ID.

the reason I had to get information off the net was because it was when the test first became availiable

the CEA test was first 4years ago now??? , so I needed to be able to tell our Vets exactly what I wanted

and they needed to know how to collect and how to process the sample for travel,

since then they have done all my testing for CEA CL TNS, as well as other collie people who also have theirs done there,

the Vet now has all the relevent forms on-hand.

Edited by Libertybrook

Dumb question but what is TNS testing? I have a friend looking for a BC puppy within the next year so would be keen to know what it is and if we should specifically look for dogs that have been tested.

Trapped Neutrophil Syndrome, a recessive fatal disease that borders can have. You test for it by a DNA test that is done by Alan Wilton at NSW Uni. You ideally need to look for a pup that has had at least one parent tested DNA clear. Carriers aren't affected so it wouldn't matter if a pet was a carrier.

http://www.bccnsw.com/tns.html

Edited by Janba

Dumb question but what is TNS testing? I have a friend looking for a BC puppy within the next year so would be keen to know what it is and if we should specifically look for dogs that have been tested.

Trapped Neutrophil Syndrome, a recessive fatal disease that borders can have. You test for it by a DNA test that is done by Alan Wilton at NSW Uni. You ideally need to look for a pup that has had at least one parent tested DNA clear. Carriers aren't affected so it wouldn't matter if a pet was a carrier.

http://www.bccnsw.com/tns.html

Thanks - will add it to the list!

Hi again Royal Border

I was just reading my copy of Busy Borders and the BCCQ are holding a Health clinic day on the 12th October,

next Sunday.

you must book and you have to contact Miss Suzanne Chandler her email is, [email protected]

ths email is freely availiable on the BCCQ webpage,

I dont like putting peoples phone numbers up. you can PM if you would like her phone number.

Edited by Libertybrook

Do not even consider a puppy that doesn't have at least one parent genetically normal/clear for each of the conditions TNS, CL & CEA. They can be cleared by testing or by parentage. Make sure you see proof of the test results for the parents of the litter or of their parents/grandparents to prove they are clear by parentage. All ethical breeders are now testing so steer clear of anyone who isn't and don't believe anyone who says that they don't need to test because they have never had these problems. The genes responsible for all three are widespread throughout the breed even though affected animals have been rare.

It doesn't matter if one parent is a carrier for any of these problems so long as they are not mated to another carrier of the same condition. This is a requirement of the BCC of NSW code of ethics.