Teething Terror

Dame Aussie

Well, my puppy went to sleep last night like a little angel………. and woke up as the devil itself… :(

Lili is teething, its been going on for about 2 weeks but in the last few days they’ve been dropping out like crazy.

The result….my puppy now resembles a snappy little alligator.

We’re giving her frozen bones, ice blocks, loads of chew toys, regular walks and lots of games…..

She is chewing on EVERYTHING.

Her bed, our bed, the concrete, the carpet, the coffee table, phone point in the wall ;) , shoes and US!

We were doing so well with the biting, she’d really improved but now she’ll just look at you and snap, at your hand, face leg, clothes….we usually put her in time out and she calms down a bit but my doG…..

And while she normally is very well behaved on a walk the last day or two she’s impossible, she refuses to go where you want to go and pulled so hard on the lead last night it whipped onto my finger and ripped the nail off… :)

Oh and might I add our place at the moment is Zoomie Central :)

Just wondering if anyone has some tips on getting through teething…… :)

Doesn't sound like it's just 'teething' - I have had many puppies, and never noticed a difference in temperament when losing /getting teeth...

She 'may' be having a burst of hormones.... this can affect temperament!!!

Do not pay her extra attention- take away anything foodwise that has artificial colours in it...and keep her on leash and under your direct control more often.

make her 'work' for EVERYTHING- praise, pats,food...time inside.... be calm and slow and firm.No excitable games or running....

Doesn't sound like it's just 'teething' - I have had many puppies, and never noticed a difference in temperament when losing /getting teeth...

She 'may' be having a burst of hormones.... this can affect temperament!!!

Do not pay her extra attention- take away anything foodwise that has artificial colours in it...and keep her on leash and under your direct control more often.

make her 'work' for EVERYTHING- praise, pats,food...time inside.... be calm and slow and firm.No excitable games or running....

Thanks for the advice.....I too think maybe she's just getting a bit older and trying to challenge everything. She's 4.5 months and already about 13-14 kgs so she's a handful. Up until now she's been an angel except for the normal puppy problems but I'll try the above and see how I go! :)

I don't want to scare you or anything, but my pup had the same issues, he used to mouth really bad and we kept putting him in time out as it was the only thing working and it had improved considerably. But then all of a sudden he started to test us, he started to mouth harder and pee in the house. everytime we tried to correct him he'd snap at us and we dint know what to do, eventually he ended up biting me pretty bad, it took about 20-30 minutes of pressure to stop the bleeding! All this coz he knew he was going to go to time out and didn't want to. What was scary was from the first time he began to test us and the time he bit me was about 48-72hrs. If you do not correct it staright away and EVERY SINGLE TIME, they can learn THAT quickly that its ok to mouth/bite so hard. Lucky for me I had already pre arranged a private training session. And she was unbelieveable!! I was in shock, I didnt think my pup had it in him to learn so quickly and be so well behaved. something to think about maybe.....