Pet Insurance Exclusion

Hi,

Last week took out pet insurance for Nelson 2.5 yr BC and Kailee, new Rough Collie pup.

Alls good until I received paperwork today in mail.

On the policy for Nelson he has total exclusion on eye disorders because 6 months ago he had mild conjunctivitis probably caused by a foreign body (grass seed or the like)

I got the vet to fax and speak to them with no luck.

I then get an email to inform me the exclusion includes; facial adscess(es), eye disorders and mouth/oral disorders. :):( Does this include teeth problems or extraction etc?? Whats that got to do with conjunctivis?????

If there was a history of issues then fine but this was 6 months ago and it is the only thing he has been to vet for except normal yearly stuff.

I am so frustrated by it all. They were quite happy to debit my bank account the very next day I lodged the policy over the net. Without a phone call to discuss the exclusion.

Any advice would be good. I have a 14 day cooling off period, I wonder if every company would be the same.

Jen

IMHO any insurance is a scam. I have worked in insurance and absolutely despise it!

The only reason I have ever purchased insurance is because a finance company required it.

Because of my background I always make sure I read the entire PDS as there are so many exclusions and sometimes I’m honestly shocked at what is in there. I remember looking at travel insurance and this is what one section said…..

Pg 2: “Paragliding is covered except in the circumstances listed on pg 31;”

Pg 31: “Paragliding is exclusion in this policy”

WTF??? :)

Honestly I wouldn’t bother with pet insurance. Of course I’m sure it has been of great help to some people but not the great majority. I would rather put away the money you would spend on the policy and keep it in case anything happens.

Jen,

Can I ask who the insurer is?

Honestly I wouldn’t bother with pet insurance. Of course I’m sure it has been of great help to some people but not the great majority. I would rather put away the money you would spend on the policy and keep it in case anything happens.

I see pet insurance similar to house and health insurance. You pay a great deal of money to be covered and for the most part you generally don't get to use it. However it is there in times of an emergency. I always get told to put the money aside for my health insurance rather than pay for it each month but in all honesty, if you were putting the money aside how often would it get used for what it's really for??

Taking out pet insurance was th best thing I did for Smooch, a month after I took it out Smooch got a cut above the eye that required stitching, a month after that he got kicked in the shoulder by a horse and a month after that he suffered from Fibrocartilagenous (spinal Stroke). As I am on a disability pension I wouldn't have been able to afford the large vet bill for the spinal stroke, with all the treatment etc it was well over $4000. So for me it was the best thing I did.

I love my pet insurance! Took out a policy on my 5 month old giant breed puppy 2 months ago. Just had ortho surgery, due to accident, had a staple inserted in his ulna growth plate. total cost $2000. will receive 80% back after only paying 2 instalments.

You never know what will happen in the future. Better to spend $40 a month on insurance than try to find thousands of dollars when your pet needs it most.

:)

be interested too to find out which company. If it excludes eye disorders you had better hope that your Collie never develops PRA or "dry-eye( kerato-conjunctivitis).Pre-existing conditions are never covered or if they are you have to serve waitng periods just like human health insurance

I had it years ago and when my Collie needed treatment for dry-eye they would not pay because she had a blocked tear duct as a puppy(8 weeks old).

Also when my other Collie needed urgent dental work for hypoplasia( tumours around the teeth) they would not pay for that either as they considered it to be "cosmetic") even though we did not know until the biopsies came back that the tumours were benign :rofl:

MEthinks better to put $$ in a separate bank account when you can for emergencies or have a stand-by credit card.Also GE finance now have a finance option for Vet treatments

BTW where did you get your Collie from

I learnt the hard way with my first dog who cost a fortune in vet bills.

Subsequent dogs have been insured and in 18 months, I have claimed almost $4000 in vet bills.

I would be looking at other insurers (I am with RSPCA and can't recommend them highly enough of course)

:rofl: