Recovery From Brown Snake Bite

deltron

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I tried giving him chicken and rice, but he refuses to eat it :thumbsup: Beef is the only thing he will willingly eat. I'll cook it and see how that goes.

He threw up again last night. It's back to the Vet's at midday.

Unfortunately I tried giving him chicken and rice, but he refuses to eat it :laugh: Beef is the only thing he will willingly eat. I'll cook it and see how that goes.

Hi deltron,

I'm so sorry to hear about your boy's ordeal. I really hope it works out well for you. You are doing all you can.

We live in brown snake heaven and really, have been very, very lucky to date. Unfortunately though, I sadly lost my much loved 4yo lab bitch 2 years ago (almost to the day!) to brown snake bite. She was bitten in our yard while we were away at work and never stood a chance.

On a separate occasion, one of other our lab bitches was bitten but we were unaware of it till we went to feed up and I noticed she wasn't all that interested. Within minutes, she was looking decidedly unwell and not long after that began to really struggle. We made a quick phone call to our vet follwed by a mad dash to the surgery 10 minutes away. By the time we arrived, Sunny was unable to walk. Since we were unsure what kind of snake had bitten her (and we were sure it was a snake bite from all the signs), our vet administered the 'general' antivenene but this had little effect. By this stage, Sunny was completely still and barely breathing. We took a gamble and decided that since 90% of snakes at our place are browns, we administered brown snake antivenene. Within 20 minutes, Sunny was already much improved. She stayed overnight and we picked her up next morning and it was as if nothing had happened!

My BIL owns Sunny's litter brother and his dog was also bitten by a brown snake. At the time, he lived a good 3/4 of an hour from the nearest vet. By the time he got his dog there, Major was literally on death's door. In spite of that (and in no small part due to how fit he was at the time) he was treated with antivenene and after quite a battle, survived. It took many months for him to fully recover and I can't recall all the details but I know it was nowhere near as simply a recovery as Sunny's. Having said that, Major and Sunny are both now 11yo and fit and healthy...so fingers crossed that all will be well for you too.

Cheers and best of luck.

w2s

Unfortunately I tried giving him chicken and rice, but he refuses to eat it :rolleyes: Beef is the only thing he will willingly eat. I'll cook it and see how that goes.

Hi deltron,

I'm so sorry to hear about your boy's ordeal. I really hope it works out well for you. You are doing all you can.

We live in brown snake heaven and really, have been very, very lucky to date. Unfortunately though, I sadly lost my much loved 4yo lab bitch 2 years ago (almost to the day!) to brown snake bite. She was bitten in our yard while we were away at work and never stood a chance.

On a separate occasion, one of other our lab bitches was bitten but we were unaware of it till we went to feed up and I noticed she wasn't all that interested. Within minutes, she was looking decidedly unwell and not long after that began to really struggle. We made a quick phone call to our vet follwed by a mad dash to the surgery 10 minutes away. By the time we arrived, Sunny was unable to walk. Since we were unsure what kind of snake had bitten her (and we were sure it was a snake bite from all the signs), our vet administered the 'general' antivenene but this had little effect. By this stage, Sunny was completely still and barely breathing. We took a gamble and decided that since 90% of snakes at our place are browns, we administered brown snake antivenene. Within 20 minutes, Sunny was already much improved. She stayed overnight and we picked her up next morning and it was as if nothing had happened!

My BIL owns Sunny's litter brother and his dog was also bitten by a brown snake. At the time, he lived a good 3/4 of an hour from the nearest vet. By the time he got his dog there, Major was literally on death's door. In spite of that (and in no small part due to how fit he was at the time) he was treated with antivenene and after quite a battle, survived. It took many months for him to fully recover and I can't recall all the details but I know it was nowhere near as simply a recovery as Sunny's. Having said that, Major and Sunny are both now 11yo and fit and healthy...so fingers crossed that all will be well for you too.

Cheers and best of luck.

w2s

Wow... your stories are inspiring. It's good to know how resilent dogs can be :rofl:

Charlie went to the vets and he said that the tummy upset might be him having a reaction to the allergens in food. (apparently he might be hyper sensitive at the moment because of what he's been through) We were told to give him plain roo meat, and slowly add in vegies over time. Charlie gobbled up the roo tonight, so here's hoping that he's on the mend!

Edited by deltron

Any updates on the pooch, Delt?

He is really great! He hasn't thrown up since he is on the diet of strictly roo mince, and is 95% back to normal.

He is still a bit more sleepy than usual, and i'm lapping it up because soon he will be back to his usual self (staying up all night and running around the backyard like a loon)

:confused:

A Friend of mine had a dog, he was bigger but still, he was staying with her folks, they went outside called him he wobbled up to them saliva everywhere and collapsed at their feet. Rushed to vets, two vials of antivenin, artificial respiration for 5 hours. He recovered, did take a bit of time, and died due to old age about 5 or so years later. Good luck, snake bite is my worst nightmare!!!