Grooming Dilemma

Hi Everyone,

Firstly I am doing this on behalf of a friend who is unsure what to do about an incident that's occurred whilst her dog was being groomed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Friend has a little Westie who was taken into a grooming salon to be clipped. When my friend has arrived to pick her dog up she has been told the dog has injured itself. The groomer appeared upset & told her the dog may have sprained or bruised it's leg & to give it a few days & if it wasn't better to take her to the vets.

My friend was quite worried & ignored the advice & immediately headed off to her vet. Cast was put on the dog's leg (I am unsure if the groomer did this or the vet). The groomer originally offered to pay for any vet bills.

The dog has now had to have pins put in her leg & my friend's partner rang to let the groomer know what had happened. The groomer then got her back up & got on the defensive saying the dog had broken it's own leg. She kept saying it was the dog's fault as it kept jumping up & down in the bathtub. :)

On top of all the upset & stress to both my friend & her dog this has so far all up cost her approx. $3K & possibly more to come for further treatment.

What rights does she have & what should she be doing? She & I both feel that the groomer should be responsible as the dog was in her care when this happened.

My friend lives in the NT - so if anyone can give me any advice on to whom she might speak to as she doesn't know how to go about getting this sorted out.

Thanks in advance & I would love to hear from any groomer's points of view on what happens when dogs are injured in your care?

Your friend needs to talk to a solicitor. A letter of demand for the cost may produce results. If not, it's off to court.

She could take the groomer to the Small Claims Court herself but a solicitor will do a better job.

Gawd, any of the pro groomers I know would have taken a clearly injured dog straight to the vet THEMSELVES.

Gawd, any of the pro groomers I know would have taken a clearly injured dog straight to the vet THEMSELVES.

doG yes! Ring the owner first and foremost to advise what has happened. Take the dog to the vet, either their own or the owners' if they prefer. And then either take some lessons in dog handling or give up grooming until they are a lot more experienced if the dog DOES have behavioural issues in a grooming environment.

the groomer should of taken full responceablity, no matter how the incident happened, yes should be paying all the vet bills, which if they are insured would be covered.

Also it is a great concern that the groomer did not contact the owner as soon as the incident happened :) not wait till them to come and pick up the dog :cheer: and not to contact a vet straight away as well :cheers:

as poodlefan said.....

Your friend needs to talk to a solicitor. A letter of demand for the cost may produce results. If not, it's off to court.

i would demand to speak to the owner of the place and then take matters further....

in any animal business incidents can easily accrue, but to be treated the way your friend has, is not acceptable :laugh:

I would see a solicitor and get them to write a letter of demand. Just the look of something official might get the groomer to pay the vet fees - if not, then at least seeing a solicitor will mean they can start legal proceedings if the groomer won't pay.

OMG.... I am a mobile groomer and it is paramount that if there was a problem with a dog the owner would be contacted IMMEDIATELY! Then off to the vet pronto. I have public liability insurance I would not work without it. Reputable groomers would never injure a dog but sometimes there are dogs that are hell bent on doing it. You generally know when they are going to do it though and can have someone else on hand (usually the owner) if you think there might be a problem. I won't do dogs that I know will be a problem unless the owner is present at ALL times.

I would be calling a solicitor ..... the groomer is ultimately responsible for the dog while it is in their care!

Cheers

Kat