We have a 3 1/2 month old Newfie Puppy and I'm confused

on the amount of food to feed him.

He has Hills Science Large Breed Puppy food, some left overs

bones to chew on and eggs.

On the package they say to feed him 9 cups a day but I find he isn't eating

that much (in fact I find him a small eater). Another problem is we live on

5 acres and let our chooks and ducks roam free during the day. Digi loves eggs

and goes looking for them.

How many is to many??????? He can find up to 4 eggs a day.

Do you think I can cut his Dry food down and mix it with Raw eg

Raw in the morning and Dry at night????

Thanks

Sharon

Edited by Raven

9 cups :rofl: holy shmoley I dont even feed a 63 kilo Dogue on that much per day!

I say change the food to something like Eagle Pack giant breed and give him things like carcasses etc

I wouldnt let him eat 4 eggs every day, eating too much raw egg causes a vitamin deficiency in the dog, particularly Biotin

Thanks for that Nekhbet i thought that was a huge amount of food.

I don't feed him that much as I believed it was to much.

Hmmmm will have to do a sweep of the yard to make sure he doesn't find to many eggs.

BTW what's Biotin????? Yes I'm new puppy owner :rofl:

since you dont know what the pup is eating best to not let him. Or you can grab an egg, blow it through a hole and fill it with pepper. Leave it out for him boy will he have a surprise when he finds that egg :thumbsup: Hills is not made for giant breeds ... dont know exactly what its made for but I wouldnt feed it to my dogs. Try the Eagle Pack and see how you go with it, its great for giant breeds. Because of the protein level being lower your dog wont grow as fast as others on double the protein (not a bad thing) they mature at the correct rate for their bones. Highly reccomend it, did wonders for my Dogue de Bordeaux

OMG I saw a newfie on a ute yesterday parked next to my car :rolleyes: he was HUGE! So lovely he sat there with his eyes drooping and bottom lip drooping too drooling on me while I gave him a cuddle! If I could deal with the hair I would think about it but OMG that fur!

Biotin is Vitamin B7 (or Vit H) and because I'm lazy

Biotin is necessary for cell growth, the production of fatty acids, and the metabolism of fats and amino acids. It plays a role in the Citric acid cycle, which is the process by which biochemical energy is generated during aerobic respiration. Biotin not only assists in various metabolic reactions, but also helps to transfer carbon dioxide. Biotin is also helpful in maintaining a steady blood sugar level. Biotin is often recommended for strengthening hair and nails. Consequently, it is found in many cosmetic and health products for the hair and skin.

:laugh:

Edited by Nekhbet

Thanks for the great advice Nekhbet,

Lucky for me Hills offers refunds for their food if it's wrong for your dog or

they don't like it. I will phone the shop tomorrow and make sure they have

Eagle Pack and try him on that.

:happydance: Love the idea about the egg I will have to place a few around coz he has

zoned in where the chooks mainly lay.

I also have another question :) when you feed chicken carcasses how many do you give

per feed etc. I have put an order at our local butchers and I pick them up next week.

At the moment our boy is clipped due to us living in a High Risk area for Paralysis Ticks (didn't know

about these beforehand :cheer: ) I can't wait til after tick season when i can let his coat grow again.

Thanks Again

Sharon