My Thieving Stealing Horror Cavalier

Well young Marley is a bad bad boy... he's ball obsessed so we no longer take the ball to the park. So now he just steals them!!!!!!!!! Now when he steals other doggies toys he suddenly also becomes deaf and can't hear you. He refuses to listen to me, will not return the ball and just leads you on a merry dance. Ive stuggled for up to half an hour trying to get some other dogs ball of him! Its so embarrassing!

His recall in any other situation is great, he's normally well behaved. He just holds these toys at such high value and thinks its all a game.

Any advice on how to beat him at his own game?

yep...

keep him on a lead!!

Only run him free where there no other dogs.

Teach him "give".

Use his ball as a reward for excellent behaviour- including recalls, tricks, etc.

Always pack a ball into your bag when walking him.. a squeaky one ,maybe- or one of the tug attached ones :D

That way , you have something to offer him when he does return..NEVER chase him!!

By the way--- he's not 'bad'...just very smart!!

Edited by persephone

Yeah we stopped chasing him ages ago he just thought it was the best game ever...

After today he'll be lucky if he ever gets off the lead again! it took 20mins to entice him to return the ball. The thing is he thinks everyone else's toys are so much better grr

The thing is he thinks everyone else's toys are so much better

OK.

Sooooo

It is YOUR JOB to now convince him ,that by doing as you ask- he gets to play with his own fantastic, super duper ball with squeaks, or treats, or ropes or whatever he absolutely adores!!!

When he learns that, by pleasing you, he gets a REWARD of ball play to the max, then he will be willing to 'earn' his obsession..his focus will be on YOU, as provider of balls and excitement!!

Honest- this can only be remedied by YOUR being the more exciting option!

Just think you will never have to buy another ball ever!!! Are you sure that he is stealing them and not just joining in.......

My dear old cocker would always find balls when we would go walking, picking them up under bushes etc, we always came home with one.

Its just a big game to him, he's such a silly puppy dog. He loves to play LOVEEEEEEES to play and his favourite game is steal and run...!

I think we may have to head back to some obedience training before he gets himself into too much trouble!