Recent Random Barking

inbox

Hi everyone

My 22week yr old japanese spitz pup has just started to bark randomly at night for the first time. We have been ignoring his barking that usually just goes on for 15minutes or so, on and off that is and I'm worried I won't be able to tell the difference if its really some intruder or not. Also I'm unsure what could the reason be for the barking, I would think its just because he just woke up suddenly or some bugs. What can I do about this barking because it usually happens at like 12am then 3am at night?

Also in regards to lead training, just today he was trying to bite me as I was taking off the leash from his neck, then he would get all hypo afterwards, is this because I might be pulling his hair as in doing so? What can i do about him biting me? I do make a loud yelp noise and ignore him etc but it has happened twice.

Thanks for the help

My 22week yr old japanese spitz pup has just started to bark randomly at night for the first time. We have been ignoring his barking that usually just goes on for 15minutes or so, on and off that is and I'm worried I won't be able to tell the difference if its really some intruder or not. Also I'm unsure what could the reason be for the barking, I would think its just because he just woke up suddenly or some bugs. What can I do about this barking because it usually happens at like 12am then 3am at night?

Where does he sleep? He might be doing that to seek attention. I would suggest training. When he barks, ask him to be quiet in a firm voice but don't go to him. When he stops, wait for 30 seconds then go to him and give him a treat, lots of praise. It's a killer to do that at 3.00 am though :hug: I recently had to do that when my 1 year old started to bark at the sound of thunder. I was sleepwalking at work the next day :coffee:

Also in regards to lead training, just today he was trying to bite me as I was taking off the leash from his neck, then he would get all hypo afterwards, is this because I might be pulling his hair as in doing so? What can i do about him biting me? I do make a loud yelp noise and ignore him etc but it has happened twice.

My dog's trainer told me that biting is natural in puppies. But they have to be taught to do that gently. You are doing the right thing by yelping and ignoring. But it will take a while for him to get the idea. I used to have scratches all over my arms when my Elkhound was a puppy. Now I can take food from his mouth without a worry.

He is reaching teenage years, and has discovered he has a voice.

Do you want him to randomly bark at odd hours?

If not, ignoring him tells him it is ok to bark. You need to voice correct him every time he barks when you do not want him to.

Otherwise, his barking will increase, as he has no guidance.