Dogs Diagnosed With Atopia, What Do You Feed?

Hi all

Hoping to hear back from owners who's dogs have been diagnosed with Atopia and what you have found is the best food for your dogs. Also wondering if any of the prescription diets on the market have helped your dogs skin conditions?

Coming towards the end of an elimination diet - roo and sweet potato and wondering what to feed now that it appears it is definitely atopia and nothing else. Whether to bother with prescription diets or just feed a quality dog food, plus megaderm and whatever medication will be trialled next by the vet.

Thank you for your help in advance! :o

Hi FTPO. I remembered that there was a thread on Atopy some time ago and i typed up a heap of info that my vet gave me on the matter. Here is the link, not sure if there is anything helpful in there for you, i hope so. It's terrible dealing with allergies.

ATOPY

Thanks Alison will have a good read tonight!

Dory - we visited a homeopathic vet 4 times and each time the scratching became worse and he said at the onset he would cure Benson and we would only have to see him a maximum of four times before that occurred. Unfortunately he is not cured.

We will be trialling Doggy Antihistamines and Cortvance next I believe but just wonder what I should feed him after the roo/sweet potato elimination trial has finished, we are almost at three weeks and not a thing has changed :)

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

FTPO in your case if it is definitely atopia I don't think the prescription diets would make any difference (and I take it you mean for eg. EP Duck & Oatmeal). As long as you are supplementing with essential fatty acids (fish oil tablets + evening primrose oil) diet should be fine. EPO baths may offer some relief too.

Personally I would keep him on the same diet for now that way when you start the antihistamines you know with certainty that introducing those has affected a change. No doubt they will! When you've figured out a good dose for him that he does well on then look at adjusting his diet. Avoid changing too many variables at once.

FTPO in your case if it is definitely atopia I don't think the prescription diets would make any difference (and I take it you mean for eg. EP Duck & Oatmeal). As long as you are supplementing with essential fatty acids (fish oil tablets + evening primrose oil) diet should be fine. EPO baths may offer some relief too.

Personally I would keep him on the same diet for now that way when you start the antihistamines you know with certainty that introducing those has affected a change. No doubt they will! When you've figured out a good dose for him that he does well on then look at adjusting his diet. Avoid changing too many variables at once.

:)

Oh d'oh I didn't even think about that *need slaps head emoticon* Ok will get another few weeks supply of roo even when we are finsihed the 4 wk trial and then after finding out if the antihistamine works sorting out the food then. I had him on Mega Oil (human stuff) but he is now on Megaderm which is omega oil blend specifically designed for dogs.

Also he did not do well on EP duck/oatmeal, prior to that was EP Holisitic Large Puppy - better on that IMO and prior to this diet he was on Orijen seem to be healthier looking during the winter mths on this than EP duck.

Edit - He is also being bathed in Pyohex. Tried EPO shampoo - did not help him at all :) and definitely is not contact allergies as he has never had a rash.

Edit love your new siggy - Sofia looks like a statue in that piccie :)

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Royal Canin currently have the only food out for Atopic dogs, skin support. Not sure if the Derm Vets have started trialling it yet but I am finding it's working really well for Gypsy. :)

Info here.

I have been googling that but could not come up with actual proper info on it - just prices and the feline one kept coming up! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Will look into this as well! Do you know how much for a bag, how many kgs in a bag and how much do you need to feed?

S&T what's the protein base in that kibble you're referring to out of curiosity? Can't find an ingredient list on the RC site.

FTPO remember it's always baby steps with allergy dogs. One thing at a time and you will (eventually) find a workable solution!! By the way, the only time the statue is still is when there is food in front of her nose! lol

Royal Canin currently have the only food out for Atopic dogs, skin support. Not sure if the Derm Vets have started trialling it yet but I am finding it's working really well for Gypsy. :thumbsup:

Info here.

I have been googling that but could not come up with actual proper info on it - just prices and the feline one kept coming up! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Will look into this as well! Do you know how much for a bag, how many kgs in a bag and how much do you need to feed?

Be careful with this one. Someone on here had their dog tested via intra dermal testing and turns out their dog was allergic to marigolds I think, which is actually in this food...

After we did our elimination diet, I stayed feeding raw.

FTPO - have you seen a Dermatologist yet? We've gone through all the elimination procedures too and looks like we're definately atopic too. Next stage is the testing. I believe the best person to do the intra dermal is a dermatologist. There are several blood tests available however the older ones are not very reliable. The latest one is called the Heska Allercept test and is considered almost on par with the intra dermal skin tests. But definately consult a dermatologist before you go ahead with any of these as there is a drug with holding time that you need to follow before you do the test to ensure accurate results.

Be careful with this one. Someone on here had their dog tested via intra dermal testing and turns out their dog was allergic to marigolds I think, which is actually in this food...

That's exactly what I was going to say! Any one with a dog allergic to dandelion / daisy family wants to avoid this!!! What a ridiculous thing to have in a product for atopy!! Several daisy family plants are used in liver / skin care things, but as its a common atopic allergy so that's just naff to have it in a food for atopy!!

I'd also wait until you know the results of the intradermal testing as he may come up allergic to things like storage mites too, which live in dry foods... in which case you need to look at alternative diets or freezing the food to kill the mites etc.

Edit for clarity...

Edited by zayda_asher

That's exactly what I was going to say! Any one with a dog allergic to dandelion / daisy family wants to avoid this!!! What a ridiculous thing to have in a product for atopy!! Several daisy family plants are used in liver / skin care things, but as its a common atopic allergy so that's just naff to have it in a food for atopy!!

I'd also wait until you know the results of the intradermal testing as he may come up allergic to things like storage mites too, which live in dry foods... in which case you need to look at alternative diets or freezing the food to kill the mites etc.

Edit for clarity...

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it, as I would never have thought of that! :rofl: