Jointguard - For Horses

Hi all,

I recently priced Jointguard for horses and noticed that it's less than half the price of Jointguard for dogs. Naturally, I am keen to start using it as an alternative. As far as I can see, the ingredients are identical and their quantities are virtually the same (the glucosamine rate is marginally higher in the equine version).

So, my question is - given that it comes in a 1.5kg tub and is likely to go well beyond its 'use by' date before I am finished with it, will the active ingredients such as glucosamine/chondroiton etc. etc. still work? How effective are these types of ingredients once you exceed their 'best by' date?

Thanks in advance.

w2s

Edited by woody2shoes

Keep it in the fridge, and it will probably last a lot longer. There is also the option of slighltly increasing the dose once it reaches or goes a bit past that date.

Most of these thing gradually decline - they don't have a self-destruct button that says "On this exact date I become 0% effective and go up in a mushroom cloud."

Maybe you can team up with another DOLer - and share the tub?

Maybe ask the people at NatureVet about it? Interesting that it's so similar.

Thanks noisymina. I think refrigerating it is a really good idea. I will do that. I'd already considered using more of the Jointguard if I was at all worried about the product's viability.

Mooper,

Like you, I was pretty amazed at just how alike the two products are. I think (from memory) the canine version had say 80mg of glucosamine in every 2.5g scoop and the equine version had 90mg when I broke it down. The difference was negligible. The chondroitin was identical and the other ingredients eg. vitamin C etc. were not detailed so I have no way of knowing how the two compare. In any case, my vet seemed to think it was definitely worth buying the equine version as a substitute.

I may just call NatureVet and ask them what they know about the product's shelf life. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

w2s

If you store the powder in the fridge it will get moisture in it and turn the product hard.... I learnt this the hard way...

I have also asked my vet about using the horse product they called the manufacturer for me and the answer was, horses require different amounts of glucosamine and chondroitin compared to dogs (and cats) so if you use the horse product you'll either underdose the chondroitin or give more than the required amount of glucosamine.

Perhaps give the company that make the it a call as its been awhile since my vet called.

We now buy the 750g tub off the website that someone else listed and its pretty cheap!!

Edited by Sam_Lab