What Could Be In Tinned Dog Food

imy

Usually I feed raw meat to my dogs but ocasionally the butchers doesn't have any made up when I need it (the nearest butcher is 90kms away)

Well, I have a can of dog food hidden at the back of the cupboard for emergencies and on Thursday last week... we ran out of raw food so the dogs got half a can of dog food on dry pellets.

I wrapped some foil over the tin and shoved it in the fridge (not really intending to use it but if the butcher had no raw again the following day, I'd resort to it)

Luckily, the next day, the butcher had some in stock so the dogs got raw again and have had it since.

ANYWAY, on Saturday the fridge smelt like dog farts (as canned food does) and I pulled the tin out to chuck in the bin. To my horror, where the foil was touching the dog food still left in the tin, it had been eaten away by the dog food! I unwrapped it to find little bits of foil stuck to the top of the food, all flakey and almost liquified.

What is in that stuff which could have done it??? I've never seen it happen before on ANY food.

I did a little experiment, rewrapped the food with a new foil and made sure some was touching the food and popped it back in the fridge (just in case something had dripped on the top and it wasn't actually the dog food which had done the foil melting) Sure enough, the same result today.

I'm going to ring the consumer complaints on Wednesday when they get back from the long weekend holiday.

• 1 month later...

I had some chicken that the dog didn't get to eat and used alfoil to cover it ... as I had run out of cling wrap.

Where the alfoil came in contact with the chicken ... the alfoil was eaten away.

Had this happen a few times with other foods.

I wouldn't recommend using foil to cover food. Even in restaurant, they put baking paper before the foil, so there is no real contact between food & foil. I covered food with plastic wrap, if I do put it in the fridge & I try not to have direct contact between them, just for my own piece of mind. Cheers.

I use plastic lids that you can buy and reuse. I don't use canned dog food, but the cat gets canned cat food sometimes. I got my lids for free from the Pedigree stand at the show, but I believe you can buy them from the supermarket.

What Could Be In Tinned Dog Food, That eats away at aluminium foil????

I'll make a guess that whatever it is is the reason they still use tin for food cans instead of changing to aluminium like they did with soft drink and beer cans.

EDIT: Nope, not the same reason the aluminium foil corrodes.

Edited by anthony mazzeri

Okay, it's a galvanic response. Two metals creating a cathode (the tin) and an anode (the aluminium). The acid in the food acts as the conductor and 'eats away' at the anode.

Basically, it's a very low powered battery.

I've seen it happen with lasagna in a metal cooking tray covered with al-foil. In a glass or ceramic tray it wouldn't happen.

Guest belgian.blue

Aluminum is nasty stuff. Think about what its doing to your underarms when you apply your morning deodorant. I've switched to aluminum free myself as I don't want breast cancer.