Old Dogs

My partner has 2 old longhaired chihuahua x , not meaning to sound aweful but he didn't have a lot of time to dedicate to them. He loves them very much and they are fond of him, but he was going through a difficult time with his family and so sady the little rascals were neglected for a while.

Their fur was very matted so I shaved it all off!!! - I also de-flead, clipped their nails and de-wormed them. I also built them a new kennel :cheer: . On cold nights they're lap dogs and watch TV with me on the lounge. Don't tell me they're not spoilt!

Their fur is growing back nicely now, Peppy's skin condition has improved but is still visible where the fur is growing back thin near her rump (Which is better than before because she had a baldy bum). I've been using Stop-Itch shampoo an antisceptic based shampoo for skin irritations on dogs. Could it be diet related? - they've been getting fresh meat as well as dog food and dry dog biscuits. I'll keep using the shampoo and see if it improves over time.

The other problem is they both have bad teeth but are reluctant to chew. I've tried pig ears, dentabones, doggy biscuits and treats of various shapes and sizes - Lilly will eat a jerky style dog treat but Peppy refuses to chew only rarely eating the odd bitesize jerky treat.

They're due for a vet appointment and teeth cleaning will be one of her jobs.

What can I do to keep their teeth in reasonable condition in the meantime?

Thanks

The other problem is they both have bad teeth but are reluctant to chew. I've tried pig ears, dentabones, doggy biscuits and treats of various shapes and sizes - Lilly will eat a jerky style dog treat but Peppy refuses to chew only rarely eating the odd bitesize jerky treat.

They're due for a vet appointment and teeth cleaning will be one of her jobs.

What can I do to keep their teeth in reasonable condition in the meantime?

Once their teeth and gums are dirty and sore, they're not likely to want to chew on anything much, as it hurts. It's possible that their gums are infected and you can imagine how much it would hurt to eat anything soft if that were the case, let alone something that needed to be chewed. They probably have a lot of hard build-up on their teeth, and you won't be able to remove that yourself. Once the vet has cleaned their teeth under anaesthetic they will probably talk to you about using dog toothpaste (definitely not human toothpaste) and a brush and perhaps a change of diet to keep their teeth clean.

Over the net there is really no way that anyone could id what was causing the skin problems. There are many possible causes, and only a vet, looking at the dog, would have any chance of helping your dogs. If I were you I'd bring the vet appointment forward and get all this looked at asap.

Edited by WalandLibby

Often the cause of loss of hair around the bottom and tail area is due to fleas. So many people tell me that their dogs don't have fleas but they do and that is one sign of it. Keep their bedding washed weekly and don't bath them within 48 hours either side of a flea treatment.

I feed my dogs sardines (Woolworths homebrand in spring water are cheap but great quality) each morning. THey've all come to me in poor condition and end up looking glossy. (I rehome dogs for a rescue group).

I treat my dogs for fleas/heartworm/intestinal worms (Advocate on the neck treatment) on the 1st of every month and for tapeworms on the 1st of every quarter (tablet is inexpensive from the vet).

Save some money by buying from www.pricelesspets.com.au.

Re the teeth, if they are very bad they need to get dentals asap, then you give them things to keep them clean.

I use petsgard

I have wormed, flea treated them. I use advocate for dogs and revolution for the cats and ferret, I treat them all at once and regularly. Also wash bedding regularly, that includes cats, ferret and dogs. Or replace it, my partner used to be president of a bowling club and has stacks of old tablecloths and towels to line kennels.

Their gums look OK funnily enough, there is some buildup on their teeth which will need removal by a vet. I wouldn't say it's urgent as they still eat without complaining, including dry food. I WOULD bring it forward if I hadn't desexed my ferret last week which was a priority. I do have money saved for medical emergencies but I really need to be careful with my money, I don't earn a great deal, but I do manage to keep my head above water.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes they could do more for their pets if only they could afford it.

Peppy did chew on a schmakos treat the other day, so some success!!!!

She's a VERY picky eater. She has lost a few teeth over the years, mostly accidents which have been attended by a vet in the past. This is probably a likely reason for her reluctance to chew, I would like to preserve the teeth she has left though!!!

Maybe I'm being a little impatient with the hair regrowth, it is regrowing slowly, I noticed more hairs comming through yesterday when I gave them all a bath. It may possibly be due to flea bite in the past when their fur was matted. I'll mention it to the vet and see what she says. I'm taking them with the cat who's due for a booster vaccination in two weeks.

BTW thanks for the advice :( .

Edited by fuzzy_dragonfly

They were his dogs for a long time but they're ours now, I've known the dogs for two years. Grooming was the real issue, at first my partner wasn't keen on the idea of shaving the dogs, he'd wash and brush them but the bunches were too tight so I took over the grooming side.

They're still daddy's little doggies which is why I end up calling them his rather than ours. My partner does heaps to look after "my" poultry.

I've had another good look at her today, maybe I'm just being paranoid. I didn't grow up with a dog so I'm not familiar with what to expect from an aging dog. Maybe they're just old dogs with old dog problems?

Peppy I think is closer to the 9 year mark wheras Lilly is around 7, all I know is both are 7+ years old from old photos. Lilly is still very active, whereas Peppy's slowing down a bit. Is it normal for chihuahuas do do this at this age?

I think I'll hang in there and see what the vet says. If something needs attention it will be given.

PS: Please me mindful that we're doing our best, sometimes unfortunate events cannot be avoided. The dogs loosing a bit of condition was not intentional in any way and he already feels bad enough about it as it is. Please don't think the worst, things just fell out of routine for a while.

Edited by fuzzy_dragonfly

Sounds like you are trying your best to help them back to good health - bad teeth / skin can also mean there are systemic problems (eg: internal infections, poor nutrition) - so boost the diet if you can.

Why not see how they go with a bit of extra oil (omega 3 - fish oil etc) in their diet - and perhaps some Vitamin C to boost the immune system?

I took some real nice photos of them the other day and as soon as photobucket is back up and running (maintenence) I'll send some pics.

All the dark brown fur on Peppys backside (the black and tan chihuahuaX) is new regrowth after the big shave. That's the area that had thinning fur, I'd say it is possibly due to flea bite, now the fleas are gone and I'm treating with anticeptic it's not so bad, maybe she had a reaction?

I wonder why it grew back brown instead of black?