Car Chasing Dog

One of my family members has a staffy x who is constantly chasing cars, especially those with other dogs in the back, on the tray etc... He is absolutely intent on the chase when one goes past the house and seems totally oblivious to all else when he gets going.

He is wondering if a remote activated citronella collar might work? I don't know if these even exist and haven't started the google search for one yet. Wondering if this or an e collar (which I have read about but never used one or seen it used) is suitable. We live in SA - can we even use e-collars? I haven't and won't recommend one to him as I do not know anything about them, only what I have read on here.

Any suggestions for them most welcome.

PS - We are in the middle of nowhere, no behaviourist, no obedience schools.

He is currently jumping the fence to get to the road. They are reluctant to increase the height of the fence - that was my suggestion too, and want to try this option - is it a waste of time do you reckon?

Yep. For the following reasons:

* They'd have to be there to get the timing of the aversive right EVERY time he does it.

* Given how motivating car chasing is, I don't citronella would be a sufficient deterrant.

My suggestions would be to build him a secure run or work out a good tie out chain. I hate chains but it sure beats a dog being run over.

I agree with poodlefan.. they'd have to get it everytime for either the E-collar or the citronella to work.

Unfortunately a dog that chases cars has a limited life.. it'll be only too soon before something happens and the poor dog is killed.

I think building a dog run would be their only option if they can't secure the dog in the yard.

Our kelpie x was killed when a ute he was chasing slammed on the breaks and our dog ran straight into the back of it. Freak accident, that could have been prevented.

Yep that was my thoughts. Unfortunately they are perhaps not the most conscientious (sp) of dog owners and I can't see them being bothered with this option enough to actually make it work even as you say if the citronella was enough to stop him (which having seen him chase my car I don't think it will).

He will get run over if this continues and as much as it hurts me to say (cause they are family) I don't think they want to spend the time, money and effort to increase the fence. They may build a very basic tie out for the dog perhaps. Family make it so hard sometimes!