Ear Mites

Dogsrules

A girl that is a friend of my workmate got a cute puppy from petshop recently. She has giant ears, breed was put as Corgi x. The ears, one is crooked/ flop down, the other one is up like normal, which looks very funny on her. I petsit the pup over the weekend at my house and she played happily with my dogs, running around, play bite etc. Then just yesterday, my workmate told me that the pup has ear mites, on the ear that is crooked / flop down, owner has been giving her medication from the vet, but she said it hasn't clear up.

I know nothing about ear mites so am hoping someone with experience can tell me more about it. Few questions that I have in my mind are :

- Is ear mites contagious ? My dogs are using monthly frontline, will this prevents ear mites ? Should I take them all to the vet to get checked out ?

- How does the ear mites pass on from one dog to another ? The pup slept in my room and used my dog's bed, so should I wash everything in bleach ?

- What is the sign that a dog has an ear mites ? Do they scratch a lot ? Is there an incubation period ?

- Can you see the ear mites if you look at the ears ? Or do you need a cotton bud swaps ?

- What is the best way to get rid of them ?

- How do you know if it hasn't clear up ? ( I'm just worried that owner thinks it hasn't clear up, just because the ear is still crooked, although the mites might have gone )

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

One of mine (14 months) has dermodectic mange (mites), which has caused hair loss around her eys and muzzle. It is not contagious.

You can only see the mites under a microscope and they live in the hair follicles.

Treatment advised by my vet is Advoctae once a fortnight for three treatments, then once a month for three months. Also a bath in Malaseb to help with general itching all over. Weekly if needed depending on amount she is scratchig.

We have not had this problem before and have 5 other adults here ranging in age from 5-11y.o.

They are very contagious and as others have said Frontline won't kill them. From what I understand though they are very short lived off the host but there is a wide range of carriers, ie basically all pets, rabbits, cats, mice, guinea pigs. So if one pet has them all pets in house should be treated.

Edited by lizandel

You can go to a petshop and look for ear cleaners that deal with ear mites. They are extremely contagious but are not difficult to treat. You need to be consistent with the applications of the ear cleaners though...

Perhaps lizandel, we are talking two different problems here, ear mites, against dermodectic mange as I was told emphatically by my vet that dermodectic mange is not contagious, I would hope she is right in her diagnosis :rofl: as the last thing we need are a total of 6 adults and two six week old pups infected. :laugh:

Yes we are, there are lots of different mites and ear mites are not the same as dermadectic mange. Sarcoptic mange is also caused by another type of mite. And yes you are right, dermadectic mange is not contagious. Lots of other mites are though. Advocate treats them all.

ETA: PS. sorry to alarm you!! :laugh:

Edited by lizandel

Thanks for the information, guys. If it is short lived outside the host, then I probably don't need to wash everything. Haven't heard of Nu-Stock, I'll google it.

Although, I txted my workmate to let her tell her friend to use advocate, she replied back that the pup had been using advocate since last month and now, after advice from the vet, was given an ear drop, but she was told it's not clearing up...how effective is advocate ? Maybe it's just because the ear is still crooked that they think it's not cleared up ? Should I tell her to go & get a second opinion ?

Honestly, when the pup was here, she didn't scratch as much, occasional scratch sure, but not persistent. Is this strong enough indication or some dogs an resist from scratching their ears ?