Skin Problem

Monika

Hi DOLers,

My 6yo Labrador has always been quite itchy, but nothing out of the ordinary. The vets have performed various tests before, especially on her ears, however nothing has come up. For the last few days she has been frequently scratching her neck area. She had a bath about 8 days ago, however she has never reacted to the shampoo before. She is fed Eaglepack Holistic food. She swims at the beach everyday or every second day, however this hasn't previously caused problems. I brushed her 3 days ago and her neck seemed fine. However, yesterday I noticed that hair is missing around the area and it is red. Basically, the skin is raw. Last night I wiped it with a wet cloth and she didn't seem to mind me touching the area. She hasn't tried scratching it since then.

We'll stop her from swimming for the next week and observe her. What do you think could be causing this? Allergy? Infection? It's only this one patch on her neck. Should we take her to the vet immediately or wait to see if it improves?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Monika

Are you using any spot-on meds like Advocate, Advantix etc?

She had an application of Advantage about 2 weeks ago..

My golden started to develop small, raw spots close to the spot I applied Advocate on. I switched to Sentinel Spectrum tablets and the raw, itchy spots went away. Btw she started develop the raw spots only after 1/2-1 year of using Advocate. Hope that helps.

My golden started to develop small, raw spots close to the spot I applied Advocate on. I switched to Sentinel Spectrum tablets and the raw, itchy spots went away. Btw she started develop the raw spots only after 1/2-1 year of using Advocate. Hope that helps.

Sorry, I should have clarified. The spot is on the underside of her neck, around the throat area; not near the shoulder blades where the Advantage is applied. Thank you for your reply anyway :laugh:

Has your Vet offered to refer you to a Veterinary Dermatologist?

Labradors are prone to s skin disorder known as Atopic Dermatitis/Atopy and the only way this can be accurately diagnosed is for intra-dermal skin testing to be done.

PM me if you want any further info please.

Thanks for the advice. We took her to the vet; he said that it looked like the beginning of a hot spot. Got some cream to put on it.

Hopefully it will get better!

I have owned labs for many years and for the most part, they haven't had skin issues of any sort. BUT, I had one yellow bitch several years ago now, who developed hot spots at the drop of a hat. She would scratch and scratch and nothing would stop her. I finally worked out a good system. I found that a spray pack product called dermacool took the heat out and then I would apply a soothing cortisone based cream which came in a green tube with white writing (I'm sorry, but I can't recall the name - it's been too long). While the hot spot was at its worst, she would wear an elizabethan collar and leather booties on her back feet to stop her scratching.

It was very effective. The spots would be better within a day and once the itchiness passed, she could 'run free' again.

Hope this helps.

w2s

Edited by woody2shoes