Dogs Are Problem Solvers

Lets try not to confuse the issue with our thoughts on racing greyhounds but rather on the problem solving ability etc, ie would this dog try to cheat again, could running close to the rail be a problem in the future, would future speed ability be curtailed (1st race against 10th - experience).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UP4QCFQncoM&...feature=related

Go...............

I think it was just one of those freak things, the dog was involved in a bad fall then most likely took the quickest route to the lure, god bless it. :thumbsup:

I would think this dog was a very good chaser to do that.

I think it was just one of those freak things, the dog was involved in a bad fall then most likely took the quickest route to the lure, god bless it. :o

I would think this dog was a very good chaser to do that.

That's my 'feeling' on the subject too. What a darlin'.

I think it's lucky that the dog wasn't put off racing completely by the fall. Didn't look very nice.

ETA: I can't predict what the dog will do next time round, however I'm thinking that the momentum of the dogs running in a group will be inclined to keep her to the track. That is unless the 'fall' itself has put her off running in a group at all.

Edited by Erny

not knowing about greyhound training I cant completely comment...

BUT being european I will anyway :laugh:

Smart dog. I think like any dog more regular training in a group situation to see if it does exhibit traits that suggest it will have issues then fix them, maybe with using more experienced dogs with it etc.

Sometimes accidents happen, some dogs dont care. At lure coursing my Malinois grabbed the running line and it was still moving so slashed her lips and gums. She kept chasing and it never even dinted her enthusiasm :o ahhh prey drive

Being a regular at fun lure coursing days in Sydney I ahve seen this many times.

The dogs will run a course once or twice and on the third run will cut the corners, they learn really quickly where the corners are and decide to do shortcuts.

could running close to the rail be a problem in the future, would future speed ability be curtailed (1st race against 10th - experience).

My experience with young (pre-race) greyhounds would make me say yes to running close to the rail as a means to an end is very doggie and greys are very smart, but I could be wrong. In this race the dog didn't get drive satisfaction so maybe not?? With a lot of the things i teach them they only need one experience to get the gist of what I want. As far of their relating to the bad experience in their first race greys even though they can fall to peices at the drop of a hat they have the best bouceback of any breed I have the chance to work with and with most their drive would carry them through a setback like that, they are soooooooo focused when a prey item is presented.

ahhh prey drive

How true, as a dog trainer it can be your best friend or your worse enemy :thumbsup:

cheers

M-J