Normal Pack Cell Volume?

My pleasure.. hope all dogs are OK??

Buzz, our smooth irish tri, is not, and it's not clear what is going on yet. Today is his second day at the vet.

It came on over 48 hours (lost interest in food, pale gums, orange urine, mildly depressed but still active). His PCV is dropping (it's 21 at the moment), and they don't think it's snake bite as it's been too slow in manifesting. They are trying to work out if it's a toxin, infection, injury or an auto immune reaction. I am hoping it is not the last one. They are testing for different toxin indicators as far as they can - they've ruled out rat poison. I honestly cannot ID any way that he would have been exposed to something - we don't bait pests, he hasn't been anywhere near our boundary fences, it's just a mystery at the moment.

:rolleyes:

My pleasure.. hope all dogs are OK??

Buzz, our smooth irish tri, is not, and it's not clear what is going on yet. Today is his second day at the vet.

It came on over 48 hours (lost interest in food, pale gums, orange urine, mildly depressed but still active). His PCV is dropping (it's 21 at the moment), and they don't think it's snake bite as it's been too slow in manifesting. They are trying to work out if it's a toxin, infection, injury or an auto immune reaction. I am hoping it is not the last one. They are testing for different toxin indicators as far as they can - they've ruled out rat poison. I honestly cannot ID any way that he would have been exposed to something - we don't bait pests, he hasn't been anywhere near our boundary fences, it's just a mystery at the moment.

:rolleyes:

Fingers crossed for an improvement. If its HA, then I know someone you should talk to. Patricia L's Harriet got to a PCV of 8 and survived.

Edited by poodlefan

Fingers crossed for an improvement. If its HA, then I know someone you should talk to. Patricia L's Harriet got to a PCV of 8 and survived.

They now think it is AHA, and he's dropped to a PCV of 15 so he's getting a transfusion and is off to the Braddon Emergency Centre for the night. I will call PL tonight if I don't get home too late. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Oh Anita, I hope Buzz is ok! our thoughts are with you guys :)

Take Care and keep us updated with how he goes.

Thanks Adrian, Buzz had a bad night and his PCV fell to 9 even after getting a full transfusion. The vets were warning us that there was a good chance he wouldn't make it. However, the good news this morning is that following a stronger steroid treatment overnight, it has picked up to 15. He's a fighter.

His brother is currently keeping him company at the vet as a backup donor in case they need to do another transfusion.

They now think it is AHA, and he's dropped to a PCV of 15 so he's getting a transfusion and is off to the Braddon Emergency Centre for the night. I will call PL tonight if I don't get home too late. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Sorry to hear the news Anita, but yes, call Patricia - she'll be very happy to walk you through her experience. Good news is 5? years later on, Harriet is still with us. :)

Sending good vibes for more positive news today.

Edited by poodlefan

They now think it is AHA
Haemolytic anaemia? My girl (now deceased, but at a reasonably age and from another condition) recovered really well from this.

Yes, ithey think it's haemolytic anaemia. Thank-you for letting me know about your girl. In my wanderings around the internet I have seen people say it's basically a death sentence, so your girl and Harriet give me hope!

Thank-you for letting me know about your girl. In my wanderings around the internet I have seen people say it's basically a death sentence, so your girl and Harriet give me hope!
I remember reading a site where there was a big celebration if a dog was alive 1 yr after diagnosis. That was a bit depressing. My girl was 12 when she got it, and her recovery was steady and unremarkable, apart from the worst case of ringworm from the pred (and apart from me falling down on my knees regularly to thank our vet ;-). She lived 2 more yrs, and was then diagnosed with a lung tumour, and died from complications after surgery to remove it.

Hope your boy recovers as well.

Edited by WalandLibby

They now think it is AHA
Haemolytic anaemia? My girl (now deceased, but at a reasonably age and from another condition) recovered really well from this.

Yes, ithey think it's haemolytic anaemia. Thank-you for letting me know about your girl. In my wanderings around the internet I have seen people say it's basically a death sentence, so your girl and Harriet give me hope!

Add Airlie W's Styx to your list of survivors Anita.