Wiggly Bum When Walking

tira_mia

I hope this question hasn't been asked heaps of times before as a search didn't reveal an answer, but I've read in some places that dogs who wiggle their bums when walking is a warning sign of hip dysplasia - is this always true?

My friend has a border collie who has always wiggled his bum whilst walking (hard to describe but when we were at the park with our two borders the other day, he was fine when running at full speed, but when the dogs slowed down he would walk with a wiggly bum and his back legs seemed to be doing a little criss cross walk which i pointed out to her - she'd never noticed it before :p )

I know she's on a tight budget at the moment so she's hesitant to get xrays and things done given he doesn't seem to be in pain (he's 5 years old now and has walked like that all his life, but is always more than happy to exercise and has no problems getting up or jumping or anything).

so i guess the question is, is a wiggly bum and slightly cross legged hind legs a major warning sign that she should get checked out?

tia

Thanks for the replies :eek:

Sorry to sound stupid but how can you tell if they're rolling their hips when they walk compared to a wiggly bum?

eta: i think wiggly bums are cute too :shrug: .

Edited by tiramia