Slashed Paw...

emmabelle

Well my poor GSP... get back from a walk on Monday with blood everywhere and a split open across two pads.

The vet says to wrap it overnight and she'll see it in the morning.

Realise kids have taken emergency bandages to use on dolls.

Drive out to get more whilst educating children on not using emergency medical kit on soft toys.

Get back to blood everywhere.

Looks like opening of CSI Miami programme. Just missing arterial blood spatter over walls.

Call friend to wrestle GSP to floor

I wrap like maniac with bandages.

Half dog, half mummy

To vet in morning

Vet operates... cost $350 (OMFG)

I pay half and am paying off rest as we go.

Vet tells me cut is so deep they couldn't get to the bottom to clean it out.

Dog on antibiotics and no walking, no nothing.

Vet suggests giving her sedative so she stays still for a week but so far, so good.

Just changed bandages myself... vet said ok to do that so it costs less.

Using Vaseline gauze stuff and crepe bandages, plus tape and so far so good.

Mid change, dog wants to lick and chew on stitches.

More dog wrestling

Call friend again mid wrestle - he's out

Thinking vet might be better at this.

Manage to wrap up foot again...

Dog thoroughly unimpressed with whole procedure.

Gives me filthy look and stares despondently out of window to yard.

Owner pours glass of wine and thinks

Thank **** it's Friday.

Edited by emmabelle

Is it rude to have a laugh at your post? I really hope that you dog will be OK and I know it's not a laughing matter but you have a very amusing way of putting things :rolleyes:

As I was reading, I was going to suggest using Manuka honey (with the highest rating you can find) on the wound but I think maybe you have enough mess without adding sticky, gooey honey! Maybe ask the vet about it. My vet recommended it when my horse cut through to bone (so glad horses don't live inside - lots of blood ewwwww). The wound was in a difficult spot and he said it would help keep it clean. It certainly did the trick.

Well, thanks for the giggle and I hope your dog is fine in no time. Enjoy the wine :rofl:

oh, what a job! Have you joined in at the GSP thread? There are others over there who are having their fair share of injuries and vet bills too. I've heard of that Honey before. A friend

used it on her infected hair folicle (which required 3 surgeries)!! and it was the only thing that helped heal from deep within the wound. It's not easy keeping any dog still when dealing with

paws, but I was getting the whole picture in my head as I was reading your post :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention...

I slipped on floor covered in blood and broke my toe.

It's ok to laugh. My dog doesn't even realise he's sick. Vet was astonished he was walking on it as soon as we were out of surgery. GSP=mad.

I'm not sure about honey. He may want to eat his foot.

Edited by emmabelle

Sorry Emmabelle, I had a laugh too :(

So sorry about your poor boy and your toe. I think that brandy is stronger than wine so go for that :wave:

Seriously. Manuka Honey is fabulous stuff. I'd get a bucket on your boys head to stop him from getting to the bandages. Does he have a crate?

I keep a bag of sanitary napkins in the first aid box - great for big gashy wounds and soaking up blood, just cut them into smaller pieces and much cheaper than surgical gauze. Cheap kids sports socks (Reject Shop, Cheap As Chips etc) - 3 pairs for around $3 - $4 are great to put over the bandage to keep it clean. Get a used IV bag from the vet and tape it over the bandage with cheap electrical tape (5 rolls for $2 from the bargain shops) for taking him out to the toilet.

Good luck and I hope that you are both better soon :birthday:

I think I turned into a medic when my dog cut open his whole leg and after a few weeks I had to take him away and ended up having to change the bandages myself. The vet gave me some type of gel that was suppose to keep it moist to help it heal.

One of his favorite things was to use his wrapped leg to ram into things and to lip around when I was watching for added sympathy.

Lucky for me he is small and very calm. I think I could chop off one of his legs and he would take it with little fuss.

I hope he makes a quick recovery and is running around the back yard again very quickly.